• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015 Canoe and Kayak Outings

Let's hear some reports.

I've been busy with projects at home but was able to sneak out last Friday after work.

Caught two fish..........but it was 14 lbs worth of fish.

First on the line was a 9 lb pike, it's always fun trying to hand land a mouthful of teeth and trebles from a tipsy canoe.

And 15 minutes later I boated a 5 lb 4 oz Largemouth.

Makes a guy want to get out on the water a little more often.

pike.jpg

Bass5.jpg

I've dropped the canoe in a few times but haven't had a ton of luck.  Fished Nokomis a couple times.  Once I was with a buddy and he pulled in a small musky and a decent bass.  The other time I went solo but came up empty.  Mostly I just trolled the shorelines with either spinners or crankbaits looking for anything willing to bite.

Also went solo on another small lake near home, went out when it was nice and calm but the wind kicked up shortly after getting on the water and made things trickier being solo in the canoe.  For now I'm fishing solo out of a 15' tandem, I flip it around and paddle sitting backward on what is typically the bow seat.  It works pretty well in good conditions but you lose a little maneuverability in windy conditions. 

Might try to get out this Wednesday and then it might be another week or two before my next chance.

I got out again after work yesterday. Not much for fish, but I got in a little paddle workout. Dodged some showers as well. These days with not much wind makes being on the water in a small watercraft much more enjoyable. Good luck to anybody going out this weekend.

Just got back from eight days in Quetico with the fiance.   Amazing trip...got into the center of the park, didn't see another person for six days, and caught more fish than y'all would believe. :)   

We also saw five moose (including two cows with calves) and some INCREDIBLE northern lights.  Was out of touch obviously and didn't know about the solar flares...but man was that an amazing show.   

I've been out on a couple of hot steamy Friday afternoons in the last month. Not much luck fish wise. But the city scenery has been top shelf. :)

Went salmon fishing on Lake Michigan this past week. During down time in between charters, thought I would bring the canoe just in case lake conditions were good for paddling. They were!

11800587_10204957343913705_3819588197261045053_n.jpg

I've been out a few more times myself but only once for fishing.  I hit Phalen in St. Paul last weekend and only managed one 3 pound bass with a couple of light bites.

I spent the rest of my paddling time trying to get my 2 year old daughter comfortable with the life jacket and the canoe.  We leave in 2 weeks for a week long trip on the Gunflint.  We are staying in a cabin since a BWCA trip is a little hard with a toddler but we'll still be doing a lot of canoeing and some day trips into the BWCA.

Did a two night trip into the BW last weekend. Caught a rainbow and a laker, but most importantly.......had a great time. Went with three other guys about 20 yrs younger than me. Didn't go that far in (never do).

And yes, that's all my gear. Another reason to keep the trips short. :) 

IMG_2878.JPG

In my defense, those are solo canoe sized packs. Double portaged, packs on one trip, canoe and fishing gear on the second.

But yes, I do tend to go a little over the top with gear.

Didn't bring a whole lot that didn't get used, thankfully there wasn't any need for the tarp/bug screen combo.

Our water setup.......

136.JPG

What solo canoe do you have????

i am strongly considering selling off one of my kayaks and purchasing a 13-14' solo that I can use with a double paddle like a kayak. Just for the sake of getting more decoys and gear into various areas. 

I have a Souris River Tranquility, what I like about it is that it's a little bigger than other Kevlar solo canoe models.

You guys think I bring a lot to the BW?

You should see what I bring boat camping.

:)

(two couples worth of gear)

((dog was ready to go home, was making sure we didn't forget her.))

056.thumb.JPG.932aacd0567f35ba93cbe53498

I like seeing what you carry, Duff...or what you motor in.  I'll scrounge through my pics to see what I bring on my solos.  I don't know how long you're out for, as that'd obviously make a difference, but I'm guessing my single-portage load is a lot lighter and (maybe a lot) less comfortable. :) 

I've always said that the key to enjoying the outdoors is to be comfortable. Comfortable footwear, comfortable raingear, a comfortable chair, comfortable sleeping pads and bag. If you are comfortable, everything else seems to fall in place nicely.

Heading up again soon, I'll take some more gear pics when I pack up.

I'll be out next weekend, too, I hope.  Probably a short little solo, somewhere out of Ely because it's a shorter drive for me. 

It'd be interesting to share gear lists here to see what everyone is carrying. If I read you right, you bring a camp chair into the Bdub?  Are you an AARP member? :)  

I do bring a small chair, and have for years.  If you are weight conscious, there is a cool chair from REI .  one pound 10 oz.  

chair.thumb.jpg.962ec2073c4052bb09cffa20

I'm cheap so use a small folding chair from menards/walmart that I bought for 5 bucks. 

folds down to like 4 inches diameter by 24 inches long.  (dimensions are a guess) 

I could be in AARP but I'm not. 

A chair sure beats squatting on a log.

we base camp these days, but have taken some loop trips in the past.  I still want a chair. 

I do bring a small chair, and have for years.  If you are weight conscious, there is a cool chair from REI .  one pound 10 oz.  

chair.thumb.jpg.962ec2073c4052bb09cffa20

I'm cheap so use a small folding chair from menards/walmart that I bought for 5 bucks. 

folds down to like 4 inches diameter by 24 inches long.  (dimensions are a guess) 

I could be in AARP but I'm not. 

A chair sure beats squatting on a log.

we base camp these days, but have taken some loop trips in the past.  I still want a chair. 

I was (mostly) joking about the chair.  They're nice, especially when the camp furniture is especially uncomfortable.  I got one for my dad and he loves it. (I got him a Helinox chair...same idea, different brand.) 

Instead of a chair, I bring a Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad to help make sitting on the logs more comfortable. It also gets use as a pad for sitting on granite and looking up at the stars, as an internal frame for easier packing and greater comfort when carrying my big SealLine pack, and as a sleeping pad/backup sleeping pad/extra sleeping pad in cold weather.  Works great--for now.