• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade Tortillas

Almost. Bought some corn and flour mixes and will never go back to store bought. Both are just add water gigs. Corn is my favorite but definitely trickery to make. Key is to find the right texture before pressing....not too dry, not too sticky. Found that a heavy plastic like a cut open freezer bag worked better than wax paper when pressing. And used a pie plate as the actual press. Struggled to get bigger ones to get into the skillet without breaking up, so hand sized is it for now. Flour ones were easy. Add water, knead, let set up 15 minutes or so, roll and cook away. They do rise a little and first batch was almost pita thick till I figured out to roll as thin as possible.  Fresh are unbelievable, but made bigger (20 or so) batches, stored bagged in the fridge, and reheated slightly before using. Give it a try. ......

20150613_113339.jpg

20150617_094613.jpg

I have a tortilla press and will make them on occasion. They always taste good but I never seem to get the consistency right. They always break when I fold them or roll them up.