• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm headed up to Lac Seul in a few days.  I'll be there June 19-24, staying at Chamberlain Narrows.  This will be my 6th time going up there, but I haven't been there for 5 years.  Is anyone else going up?  Anyone already been there this year?

About 6-11 years ago when I went to lac Seul for 5 years in a row, there was always some good conversations on here prior to my trip.  I was surprised that no one responded that they were going to Chamberlain Narrows this year.  However now that I am back I will share a little about our trip. 

We fished 4 days and had a great trip! Lac Seul is almost in a league of its own when it comes to walleyes. We went to Scaler Lake one day and caught a mixed bag of sizes and several northerns. We spent most of our time going North of camp.  As a group (5 of us were there 4 days, 2 guys were there for only 2 days), our largest walleye was 28, we had a couple that were 26, 4 that were 25, maybe 8 in the 23-24 range and too many to count that were 20+.  Fish were mostly caught 14-22 feet, with around 17-19 being the best.  We primarily used a jig and minnow, but we also had good luck with leeches and crawlers. 

If you're headed up there, have a great trip!

You are right on that being in a league of it's own. You can find eyes everywhere on that lake. We went there for years (Ear Falls side), but changed to Minnitaki on a buddies' recommendation. We haven't been back to Lac Seul since, but I do miss it. It is a massive piece of water and I don't think it probably ever slows down, fishing wise. We always went in the latter part of September. Nice Report!

I was up for my third year last week. Always the best walleye fishing I could ever ask for. We stay at Gold Pines in Ear Falls and couldn't ask for a nicer and more helpful owner and staff. They are everywhere all the time making sure everyone is being taken care of. Reservations for next year already made and can't wait to go back.

Pink with silver, green with silver, and dark green sparkly jigs with red hooks did the trick this year. We call them Foo Foo Jigs. Minnows out performed leaches but they would still bit on both. The BIG girls always hit on minnows. The eaters would hit on either. We fished 3' to 15' and caught them everywhere we dropped a line. Some placed better than others.

This is the biggest one of our trip. 29", missed the big fish at the bait store by 1/2"

29_walleye.thumb.png.2c127ebc39269887e75

Edited by Jeremy airjer W

Got back last night... all in all had a good trip.  We stay in Cabins that are very near Mahkwa... for those of you headed that way, the road is fully repaired now... no long / rough detour to contend with.  We had a good trip... I wouldn't say it lived up to the reports I read from a couple of weeks ago where it was the best fishing in many years that people had, but I would say that we had weather to contend with 3 of the 5 days we were there which didn't help. 

I would say that we had higher than average slot and larger fish this year than the past several years - lots of 18 - 24" fish caught over the 5 days, with one 25, 26 and 28 3/4" fish caught.  Due to the variable weather we ended up fishing where we could, covering a lot of wind blown islands depending on which direction the wind was out of, and ended up covering some new ground when old spots didn't produce quite as well as past years.

Water levels are down about 18", so you'll need to be a little more aware than usual of rocks / dead heads / etc.

In the end, it was a great trip.. no lack of fish by any means... and good action for a Canadian lake!

marine_man