• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

decorative railing using vinyl material

Tom7227

I have to rebuild a decorative railing across the front of the house.  I am thinking about using the vinyl material that Tommy uses on this old house.  Right now it is built with 2x4 on top and bottom with another 2x4 across the front just below the top railing.  The spindles are 2x2.  The vinyl that I have seen at Menards only comes in 1x material.  I think that I would have to double it up on the top and bottom rails but probably not on the face board at the top. Do you think I need to double up both the top and bottom rails?  By the time all is said and done the price of materials, the special screws and plugs, this may be way over the top.  The problem is that two of the openings are more than 8 feet and the pre-built vinyl setups won't work as they are too narrow.

I originally built it out of untreated 2x4 and that has lasted over 20 years.  That may have to work again and likely will outlast me.  Treated is a bit out of the question as it never seems to hold the paint.  The setup will be white.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I am in the same boat as you but have 2x6 wood . I always envision a plastic sleeve that can slide over a 2x6 and 90 deg elbows and caps etc but have never seen such a product on the market . I also didnt realize treated wood will not hold paint as well as regular wood . Thanks ! 

I went and priced out the material and I don't think this is going to happen.  1x4x12' was $21.80, 2x2x12' was $13.69.  The special screws are $$80 for 375 lineal feet (no count on the box) and the ones they had were 2 inch screws and so too long for at least part of the job.  The adhesive was hard to figure out but would likely be a minimum of $50.  So the total for my project was $530 and that didn't include tax or the inevitable 'I need more....'

I have installed the aluminum stuff (I think from Menards), with narrow square balusters and the "quick set up" type system. It really looks nice as you go from thick 2" bars to thin stuff, making it looks much nicer as you can barely see it from a distance, and see through it well when looking out. But I only installed, I did not purchase it. I think it is pretty spendy. But after the first couple pieces you figure it out and it goes pretty quick. Just need a fiber blade to cut it, and on a miter saw would make it real easy.

I think it does span 8' easy though,and it comes in white, making it maintenance free forever. Don't know anything about the vinyl though, sorry. Good luck.

Edited by BoxMN

The stuff I mentioned isn't pre-built, it is posts and rails and ballisters. Fits any size deck, and angled corners. For longer spans you just need more posts, which fasten by four screws to the top of the decking. I know it is spendy though. It looks great though, and maintenance free. I have seen in it white and bronze, both looked great.

Edited by BoxMN