• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

planted some turtles in the garden

Jameson

Accidentally left the gate open on the garden a couple nights ago and woke in the morning to find a snapping turtle laying her eggs in my garden :eek:.  So it appears that in about 90 days if all goes well that I will have a batch of snapping turtles :crazy:.   Darn momma turtle had to plant them right in front of my gate too, she couldn't even plant in one of the rows :angry:.

Ha...."planted"some painted in my lawn this year. Kind of new to growing them. Apparently mine are now about 60 days away from sprouting. Read briefly about their cultivation and one source said the may try to stay in the nest until next year.... maybe biennials? Anyone else grow them that can shed some more info?

I don't know about the how or when but last year late summer someone saw a couple baby snappers crawling across the sidewalk in front of the house.  A niece ended up pulling a couple/three dozen out of a hole that was mostly under a piece of sidewalk paver.  The thing that I found amazing was how every one of them immediately started heading directly to the swamp across the yard and street.  I ended picking them up and taking them to the swamp.  Now if even a third of them come back to my yard like spawning salmon I could have a mess on my hands.

Let me know how the painted turtle thing goes. If they hatch and stick around a while, I may want to get a couple from you for my kids. The were begging for a turtle at petsmart (they call it the zoo) the other day.

Jameson, good luck with the snappers.