• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stinky ice from ice maker

Scoot

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!  Despite the fact that the service manager promised it was not a problem that was due to the new flexible hose that was added to the back of the fridge, I discovered that was indeed the problem.  If I ran water into the hose and let it sit overnight, the water from the hose stunk like crazy.  I replaced the hose and the problem is fixed.  Goofy deal for sure!  Thanks much for the help and info from all!!!

Curious about what would cause that.  If it was something in the material of the line you would think it would show up as soon as it was put in service.  If it was some sort of mold or organic thing you have to wonder how it got started.  I had an in-line charcoal filter on my rig but I don't know that I have ever changed it.

Well water or city water?  If well water have you ever shocked the system?  The water in the ice cube line probably sits for a long time giving something a chance to grow.  If you have a well you may want to try and dig into this a bit more.

Yay!! We caught the skunk!! Way to go, Scoot! Now, to go stick that hose fulla water in that service guys  ahh...er, never mind!!! Keep us informed if ya find out any more info on that hose....

Edited by RebelSS

Curious about what would cause that.  If it was something in the material of the line you would think it would show up as soon as it was put in service.  If it was some sort of mold or organic thing you have to wonder how it got started.  I had an in-line charcoal filter on my rig but I don't know that I have ever changed it.

Well water or city water?  If well water have you ever shocked the system?  The water in the ice cube line probably sits for a long time giving something a chance to grow.  If you have a well you may want to try and dig into this a bit more.

​I have to admit, I'm curious too.  It's well water and I've never "shocked the system".  We moved to this house about two years ago and I haven't done anything with it.  I'm going to take your advice and have the water tested. 

If you do shock the well be sure to let it sit overnight but then be sure that nothing gets turned on in the house until you flush the system.  When I did it the water came out of the hose nearly looking like ketchup for 15 minutes and smelled of chlorine for about 45. Iron particles literally will come up through the hose. You don't want to have that in the house.  Be sure to follow the directions to get the bleach washed down off the wires, pump and casing right after you put the bleach in the well.  As it says run the inside faucets until you get a chlorine odor and then shut them off.  You probably want the ice cube maker to get through a couple of cycles to get the bleach into that line, but then shut it off as well.

The water from the shower and faucets will probably come out black for a few minutes in the morning.  Be sure and not be in the shower when that happens.  It will only last a couple of minutes.  Gunk from the pipes in the house.