• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim Jigs - anyone using scent?

CCGinMN

This year I am making a point to use scent on my swim jigs.  The scent seemed to make a difference on one outing.  My thought process is that some of those non committal bass that only follow will decide to take a bite if they can smell something good.  Does anyone else believe that scent makes a difference?  

Funny you mention garlic.  That is a scent I'm experimenting with right now.  I'm grinding up nightcrawlers and angleworms and mixing them with garlic.  Garlic gets results.  About 12 of us went up to Lake Winnipeg this winter walleye fishing.  Since you can't use live bait, everyone brings up frozen shiner minnows.  One guy in our group freezes them in a garlic brine.  Guess what?  He out fished everyone about 5 to 1.  Also, there was zero structure so it isn't like he was on a better spot.  I'm not sure how that translates to summer bass fishing, but it seemed to work for walleyes quite well.

^Rattles aren't useful:crazy:? How could they not be useful? Unless they are messing up the desired weight or fall rate then it is definitely helpful to have rattles. I would try Megastrike or any scent that is pasty or mix a scent with petroleum jelly to get it to stay on the jig longer. You could always use a powerbait trailer or a salt impregnated trailer. I dip my trailers in the garlic dip'n'dye and I think it helps. Here's a mix to make scents: http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/2961-how-to-make-your-own-gel-scent/

about as useful as rattles on a swim jig, that is just my opinion

​I agree if you are only using a steady retrieve.  I often pop my jig back to the boat, which causes it to flare out and makes the rattles tic.  That being said, I rarely ever use rattles on my swimjigs because I feel like they add too much bulk, get tangled in weeds, and sometimes cause them to lean to one side.  

To TKaai: I already do use scented trailers.  I just want more scent.  Kind of like cowbell, you can never have enough!!  I also want to see the look on my partner's face when I show up to league night with a 5 quart ice cream pail half full of ground up night crawlers mixed with garlic olive oil.   

Ground up crawlers in olive oil - man o man. Don't leave that out in the sun. :sick:

I kind of file scents on moving baits under the "can't hurt" category. Never occurred to me to put rattles on swim jigs, which is odd since I'm adamant about having them on other jigs.