• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford Edge or Explorer?

Well, I am looking at the edge or explorer. I put a lot of miles on a year and looking for opinions. Needs to be AWD. I like the room of the explorer for my kids, but like the MPG with the edge. Also have to consider the depreciation, do you think its about same on both? How about MPG, much of a difference? 

Thanks. 

We looked at Explorer.  Bought a Toyota Highlander.  The Honda Pilot is redesigned for 2016 so would be worth a look. 

Been a Ford guy for a long time but just liked the Highlander better. 

Do you tow?  How much luggage/people do you need to carry? 

Edge seats 5, Explorer 7.  Edge tows 3500, Explorer 5000. 

Edge is 5k cheaper and gets maybe 3 mpg more.  Has somewhat less cargo room. 

Google "compare edge to explorer" for a number of write ups.

I think CRV and RAV4 might be in the same class as edge. 

Food for thought. The newest body style explorer is now a uni-body and front wheel drive. Explorers previous to this where full frame and rear wheel drive. 

It is still odd to pull in the newer ones and see a transverse mounted engine and lift them on the pinch welds instead of the frame. 

I do tow, but only a single snowmobile or polaris ranger. Note: I will be buying a 2014 or 2013, not brand new.

Thanks for all the help so far, I am also looking at the Acadia and Pilot. We have had a pilot in the past, I am just not a fan of thier comfort, the seats in a pilot don't seem real comfortable. Maybe the newer one have improved.

Thanks.