• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hakstol from UND is the new Flyers coach

BartmanMN

Saw that....not surprising...the "old boys club" and regurgitation of coaches in the NHL is coming to an end IMO, NHL needs new coaches with new ideas, updated styles and more in-tune with the younger players. Have had that talk with several of us "old timers" for a couple years now. Hakstol has the attributes, fire, and stomach to take on the job IMO...hope he does well.

Wonder if Eades gets the job up at UND? Might have burned too many bridges but IMO he deserves it.

Darn, was hoping the UND version of Wooger was going to stick around for another decade without a title. Now they might actually win something one of these years.

How many National Championships the Gophs have? How many does UND have? wink

Its a great move for Hakstol, but from the Flyers standpoint it is a bit surprising to me. Consistently during the regular season and getting into the playoffs he was one of the best in the business, but never finished. I guess the naysayers in GF finally got their wish in getting Hakstol out. I think hiring from within was a good move on their part. It should be easy for them to transition than if someone from outside came in.

Too bad, the first time the Gophers and UND meet during the regular season since the WCHA explosion will not have Hakstol behind the bench.

How many Championships does Hakstol have and how many does Lucia have?

Good point but had Hakstol had Lucia's talent last couple of years he'd have two for sure...Lucia is terrible...suit making a paycheck at this point IMO.

BTW last I checked UND has 7 overall and Gophs have 5 wink

Good point but had Hakstol had Lucia's talent last couple of years he'd have two for sure...Lucia is terrible...suit making a paycheck at this point IMO.

BTW last I checked UND has 7 overall and Gophs have 5 wink

It could be argued that UND had every bit as much talent as the gophers so that statement could go both ways. They certainly had comparable numbers of young players and those that were NHL draft picks. All told, those two schools get pretty much their pick of the litter each year and should certainly be winning more often then they are, but the other schools are doing a better job getting the "high ceiling" guys to progress.

I wouldn't be opposed to a coaching change for the Gophers as long as it isn't Guentzel!!!!

Amazing amounts of talent have come up short for both UM and UND over the years, it should never be an excuse for either team. Ya ya we all know 7>5 but if you take away that arbitrary NCAA hockey cutoff point the gophers have 2 more titles. Kind of like how Michigan won 6 title in 9 years way back when but gets to count those because they are past 1948. Gophs also get to claim 7 runner up finishes, not exactly something you want to mention but semi impressive in a bad taste sort of way.

I did say bad taste sort of way. wink It is funny how people like to brag about frozen 4 appearances, what is the point of going if you rarely play in the championship game.

Yep, of course what's the point if you just choke in the championship game/games?

I don't know where to start here...:)

I dont blame Hak for selling out and taking the Money!   It just wasn't meant to be in Grand Forks for some crazy reason. All that talent and never getting it done had to frustrating to say the least#LuciaWayBetterCoachObvi

Plus that flippin da Bird Meltdown Hak had will go over well in a town like Philly......!

The only problem I see is if Hak can put up with the Philly fan base and media without  blowing up regularly on all stupid redundant questions he will be asked regularly.

Lets face it this new Philly gig isnt going to be anything  like the Queen of England, untouchable, do No wrong cake walk tenure he had up in Grand Forks.

Stay tuned to this one boys!...:)

Hakstol I think is going to have a rough go of it for a while. I hope he makes it, but they are salary strapped. They are still paying Bryzgalov buyout until like 2027 or something completely ridiculous like that.

I have a feeling there were not too many interested parties in that job.

With what Philly is paying him the 100k is peanuts...from what I have heard Hak was not a fan of the new conferences brought on by the Big 10 move and he has turned down several opportunities recently to coach minor league teams...you know how the NHL goes, once you get in you can't get out.....so Hak has some time to earn his retirement fund :cool:

Granted Blais was an assistant, but he didn't really last too long and look where he is now.

I think Hakstol had to be more fond of the new conferences than someone like Lucia. Afterall, they pretty much had the pick of the litter once the whole thing blew up.

I do agree though, the way it was, at least for fans in the Upper Midwest, it was soooo much better with the old WCHA.