• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 days and a wakeup!

Heading to Minnitaki for our annual foray on Thursday. Bringing my two boys, 12 and 10 with. My 12 year old will be there for his 2nd trip but it is the first for my 10 year old. They are both excited and I am too. Weather looks good after some rain and "snow" earlier this week. Fresh walleye and quality time spent with family and friends. Does it get any better?

That sounds like an awesome time. Curious how your experience was when you took your older boy by himself.

I ask because I am going to Rainy in about two weeks and my brother is bringing his 9 year old and he will be the only kid up there.....WE have a pretty big group going, but no other kids.

Good luck!!

That sounds like an awesome time. Curious how your experience was when you took your older boy by himself.

I ask because I am going to Rainy in about two weeks and my brother is bringing his 9 year old and he will be the only kid up there.....WE have a pretty big group going, but no other kids.

Good luck!!

I've been in that situation. Make a concerted effort to keep your nephew involved (even if its playing cards with the guys, whatever) and he'll have a blast. It's pretty fun for a kid to "hang with the adults" if he feels included.

Exactly pikestabber! Last year, he had a blast because he was with the "old guys" but yet was free to roam about a little on the resort grounds. It was a big deal for him and I both, and I can honestly say I watched him grow significantly in a week. I just got back from my trip last night and it was a fantastic week. Both boys caught the heck out of them. By the second or third day, the youngest really caught on with what to do, fishing wise and had a memorable experience. Bringing both of them was definitely a bucket list item for me and I plan to always bring them. In a few years, my now kindergarten daughter will be invited as well.

One thing to remember, when you got two young kids in the boat (or even one), your fishing is somewhat limited. I certainly caught my share, but I spent more time rebaiting, dealing with perpetual snags, line twists, netting, and on and on...

Not complaining because it was so worth it to keep those boys on fish and entertained. Just a very cool experience and a great bonding thing!! Keep them warm, dry, and full. The rest falls into place.