• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Makin Bacon

Thanks and you are exactly right Mossy. I had a package of some bacon I bought on sale in the freezer. I thawed it out and we had it for breakfast. What a disappointment. This project spoiled me. I have 5 more 3 lb packages of the pork belly from a hog I had butchered. A friend of mine bought 4 hogs and raised them last summer so I bought one from him. What a great idea that turned out to be. The best pork ever. I can't wait to make another batch. It wasn't hard to do neither.

After seeing the bacon threads on here I gave it a try. It worked out great. May be the best bacon I have eaten. I don't have a slicer so sliced it with a knife and it is nice and thick and meaty. I will try to add some pics now. full-20736-55741-baconslab.jpg

Why slice it? Just make a bacon roast! grin

I got my info on how to do it from here and from Thirdeyes program..... I smoked for about 3 or 4 hours. Did it at 225 I believe and had a probe in the middle of the slab. (I like using that word) wink As soon as it hit 150 I took it out and let it rest awhile then put it in the frig and sliced it the next day when it was cold. It did slice pretty nice then. And Boar it is the belly meat...

Shiver Me Timbers that looks awesome. I have two questions:

1) Where can a guy get hunks of pork belly?

2) Can anyone summarize Thirdeye's program? I was reading another post about making bacon, but I wasn't exactly sure at what point you brine it, and and what point you soak it.

Would love to try this, but would also hate to screw it up.

Maybe at a butcher shop a guy could order some belly slabs. The recipe I followed said: Use 1 tbls of Tenderquick per lb of meat. Also 2 tsp of brown sugar per lb of meat. Rub this into the meat on all sides. I then put the slab into a vacuum bag and only sucked part of the air out of the bag and then sealed it. Need just enough room for the juices that occur to flow around. Put in frig. Every day I turned it, and I did this for 7 days. 4 or 5 days is probably enough. After that you want to rinse it and soak it in water for 2 or 3 hours. Then sit it on a rack in a pan in the frig overnight. This gives the skin a little drier feel to it and lets the cure equalize. Then put on smoker at 150-180 degrees for a couple of hours. Then increase to 220-240 until your temp probe that is in the meat hits 150. Wala!! You just made bacon! I like hickory chips but use whatever you like the best.

I also let the slab warm to room temp before I put it on the smoker. And do not cover the slab when sitting on the rack in the frig. You want it to dry out some. I might pepper it before I put it on the smoker the next time. Or I might sprinke some Cavenders Greek seasoning on it. I love that stuff on my bacon and eggs. AND Tenderquick is a Mortons product. Do not use any more or less per lb. Very important. It is what keeps you safe from dangerous bacteria at the correct amounts. Have fun...

Getanet:

I am sure there are several meat markets in Mpls that can get you bellies. The closest to Mpls that I know will have bellies is Hackenmueller's in Robbinsdale. Call ahead. If they don't have it they will reserve some for you when they receive their next pork delivery. I believe they receive a delivery at least once per week. I've also purchased bellies from Greg's Meats in Hampton.