• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone using a blunt for turkeys?

I was thinking a small game tip to the head or neck might work pretty good. Anyobody trying8ng it?

What? Oh hell no. MAYBE if you hit him hard in the head it MAY put him down, but you are way underestimating how tough these birds are.

DNR TURKEY HUNT RULES, page 2:

Arrowheads must be broadheads that are sharp, have at least two metal cutting edges, are of barbless design, and are at least 7/8 inch in diameter, or ****must be of a blunthead design****.

Yea or nay?!

51Jbuhx9QVL._SY355__zpspk18zja5.jpeg

Don't you think this is an acceptable head for turkeys?

Why would the DNR approve it if it wasn't?

Just because you haven't tried doesn't mean it's a poor choice.

A head or neck shot with one of these would certainly kill one cleanly.

Did anyone else know that MN allows the use of blunt-type heads?

What you're showing there is hardly a "blunt" type head and would probably work great on a head or neck shot.

But, why would you ask the advice of experienced turkey archery hunters if you're not willing to listen to that advice?

I most certainly am willing to listen to experienced turkey hunters. What says I am not?

What I have not seen is any "experience" in using this legal method. And honestly the reason for this thread is to bring awareness to a legal method that is not talked about.

I wonder if the small game head I posted would qualify as a "blunthead design" by the MN DNR.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but I guess my question would be what advantage are you hoping to achieve by switching to a blunt instead of using a broadhead?

Is there a specific advantage or reason that makes you think of switching or do you just want to be different?

I just checked, It's legal in Iowa also. link

"In addition to firearms, archery equipment including longbows, recurves and compound bows can be used to hunt wild turkeys in Iowa. Arrows must be at least 18 inches long and must be tipped with broadheads, or with bluntheads with a minimum diameter of 9/16 of an inch."

Reasoning? Same as the guillotine type of broadheads, dead turkey vs wounded and lost bird.

I'm going to email some blunthead makers and ask about their testing on turkey.

What I have not seen is any "experience" in using this legal method.

I think there's a reason you're not finding much info. Just because something is legal, doesn't necessarily make it a good choice. Especially when excellent choices are available.

Good luck if you decide to try the G5 SMH out for turkeys.

I use headshot broadheads already, the magnus bullhead, and getting a good hit can be difficult.

The advantage (imo) to guillotine broadheads are the dead or not style of the hit. That being said, a bullheads can make a kill shot anywhere on the head or neck and can hit within an inch on either side of the neck and be lethal.

You are advocating for using a tip that is less than 1" in diameter and would most likely have to be a head hit to be lethal. I would think any kind of glancing shot or neck shot would not be lethal with a blunt tip.

I really don't see the "point" (haha, sorry), but if you want to take something that is already less than 10% success and triple the difficulty, I guess thats your choice. I'm trying to not judge your decision, because it drives me nuts when people judge my use of headshot broadheads, but blunt tips just seem ridiculous. WHy not just shoot them in the head with a mechanical broadhead? Same level of difficulty.

Well I'm geting mixed results from the manufacturers. I also sent an email to the DNR with no reply.

G5 said this

"Your inquiry regarding our Small Game Heads and their design has come my way.  Many of us here have used the SGH on turkeys with great results. This point is considered a Blunt Head by many (if not all) standards but also maintains the minimum 7/8" cutting diameter needed for Michigan. Please review the appropriate state laws for dimension regulations as they pertain to the size of the head. 

Best of luck - - - and remember we love trophy pictures! 

Have a great weekend, 

Mike"

Carbon Express said this

"Thank you for contacting us. We feel the best option for turkey hunting is to use a bladed broadhead of some type. If you have any questions you can contact our customer service department at 1-800-241-4833.

Have a nice day,

Tony

Carbon Express"

Saunders said this

"Thanks for contacting Saunders Archery. Many hunters use Bludgeons for small game. Turkeys are a tough bird and I'm not sure how the games and parks determined blunt effectiveness. I suspect whatever they determined would also apply to our Bludgeons since they are one if not the most popular head. Hope this is helpful."

Zwickey said this,

"Sorry I do not, We do not manufacture anything like a blunt head Just our Kondors, Which are like our Judo Points. Sorry Again!

Joyce Hughes

Zwickey Archery Inc"

I'm disappointed the MN DNR has not responded yet.

Snap, I don't think your going to get responses from many people who have used blunts for turkeys. If you poll 100 experienced turkey bowhunters I'd guess you'd only find a handful who think it's a good idea. Because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Because companies will advocate using their product for virtually anything under most circumstances is predictable and not helpful IMO. My suggestion is that you pay careful attention to the responses of the experienced turkey guys who have responded to your question.

I been reading this since its first post.I do use blunts on Flu Flu vaned aluminum arrows heavy arrows.I use them on all small game and turkeys.Been using them for all my years in Mn and before that in SW states.I dont release unless its max 30 yds and hopefully less.Puts em down on the spot!! and I do rush the bird after the hit,Never had a dood release (shot) not put the bird down.I also shoot many with a camera,Those that come to my range got the arrow.

EDIT Here I dont recall the blunt name but its round fairly heavy with 4 stiff wire prongs.For those of you who can shoot a bow consistantly give it a try,Its sporting to get a bird close for the energy of the heavy arrow,blunt with the fluflu that slows it down so much after 30 yds,easy arrow find also.

No head shots I,m not that good center body mass,after cleaning a bird taken with a blunt you,ll see the large bruise of impact.Drops em!

Thanks Jentz, I appreciate the response.

One bird in the bag for the kids. Spotted this one 200 yards out and crawled out into the open. It came in on a string with the HeadsUp decoy.

The other boy wants to take a head off with the Magnus Bullhead.

IMG_20150503_124036_zpspyn7wvlj.jpg