• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Looks like good stuff!!!👍

How did you make the wild rice?? I'm always looking for new ways. Love that stuff.

I love wild rice too!!  looks like mushrooms for sure in it..   our family recipe calls for lots of butter, onion and celery...  

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Looks like good stuff!!!👍

How did you make the wild rice?? I'm always looking for new ways. Love that stuff.

I boil it in chicken broth and butter. At the same time I am frying up mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and garlic in olive oil. When the rice is done I add it to the mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and garlic.

Edited by chaffmj
forgot the garlic

33 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

I boil it in chicken broth and butter. At the same time I am frying up mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and garlic in olive oil. When the rice is done I add it to the mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and garlic.

what do you do with the left over broth??  

31 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

what do you do with the left over broth??  

Mike, we frequently have leftover broth in the frig. I will use it up in certain things in places that call for water. Make a difference to, to the point I use broth now instead of water 👍

1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

For me I have it down to where there isn't any left over broth when the rice is done or very little. If there is it goes in with the mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and garlic.

ok how much broth to how much rice I like that!!!!  and Glenn I agree with ya there!!!  

33 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Boil time?  Way longer then minute rice I know that!  😁

For the wild rice I use it takes about 15-20 minutes. I get the broth boiling in a covered pot and then I add the rice and recover it until it starts boiling again. Then turn it down so it stays boiling but doesn't boil out. After about 5 minutes or so take the cover off and finish boiling it until it is done. These are all estimates and it really depends on the quality of the wild rice you use. If you have the dark black colored stuff it takes a longer.

53 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

For the wild rice I use it takes about 15-20 minutes. I get the broth boiling in a covered pot and then I add the rice and recover it until it starts boiling again. Then turn it down so it stays boiling but doesn't boil out. After about 5 minutes or so take the cover off and finish boiling it until it is done. These are all estimates and it really depends on the quality of the wild rice you use. If you have the dark black colored stuff it takes a longer.

So you boil it the whole time?  I think reg, rice you bring to a boil then simmer covered until done?  I think?

11 hours ago, leech~~ said:

So you boil it the whole time?  I think reg, rice you bring to a boil then simmer covered until done?  I think?

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Leech yes but a slow boil, like a simmer. 

Smurfy is correct and thanks for pointing that out Leech!

any of you guys ever tried the cheater method with your wild rice and throw it in an instapot?

I rinse the rice off and then add 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water or broth in the instapot.  I just do a manual cook for 30 mins and then let it release naturally. I cook white rice the same way even though there is a rice mode.

The instapot cook time is roughly about the same as boiling in a pot but at least you don't have to tend to it and babysit it. You just set the timer and do other stuff. Results may very on the rice so may need some adjustments.

13 hours ago, chaffmj said:

What about altitude?  I mean, altitude, man. 😉