• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

5 hours ago, chaffmj said:

@smurfy is that horseradish in the baby food jar? Do you put that on the fries or fish?

Yes it is horseradish. I make it myself. And for the fish  I also us it on hot dogs and most pork products. I like to throw some in with hash browns too.

1 hour ago, snagfinder said:

Do you freeze the horseradish? Every year we make a bunch around Halloween eat a lot right away and the rest sits in the fridge to die. Just noticed yesterday i have like 11 jars yet. It looks and smells fine but dont know if its good.

YES, i freeze it. once its made, ground, mixed and in jars i'll let it sit in a fridge for a couple days. i try to stack them up so they dont tip over,  a box works great. then i throw them in the freezer. when they are froze i put them in a brown paper bag and tape it shut tight. this keeps light off the horseradish and stops it from turning brown. even if it is a bit brown when you take it out it lightens up !!!!!!!!! 

i usually put them in several bads depending on how much i got, that way you dont have that many exposed.   

Edited by smurfy

On 8/28/2021 at 11:12 AM, smurfy said:

Another batch of Itasca county slimmers hits the brine 

IMG_20210828_110037056.jpg

Did you ever share your recipe for smoked fish here? I lost the one I used to use a long time ago and am having trouble finding one I like.

41 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Did you ever share your recipe for smoked fish here? I lost the one I used to use a long time ago and am having trouble finding one I like.

Not sure but I can. I'll post it tomorrow morning.

I actually have one my brother uses and is really good. I'll post that also in the morning.?

DAVE....... this is the reciepe i've used for my brine for smoked fish. i usually smoke pike but have used it for salmon also.

2 qts water

1 cup each of pickling salt and sugar.

i dont measure but add soy sauce and worchesthire sauce to color the water.

i also add onion and garlic salt and other seasonings.......... depending on the size of the fish brine it for 24 hours!!!!

NOW............ this is the brine my brother uses and this is really good, pretty sure i am going to this one now full time.  think he smokes chicken and other meats with it also!!!!!!! i finally got him to give this one up!!!!!!!

this is for 1 gallon of brine.......and can be used more then once.

1 gallon water............he says no city water........but i will not have a choice unless i go buy water

1 cup salt.........floats an egg

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup minced garlic

4tbsp cajun seasoning

4tbsp lawry's chicken/poultry seasoning

4 tbsp lawrys season salt

4 tbsp course black pepper

4 tbsp oregano

4 tsbp Mrs dash original

1tbsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp onion powder

these are the instructions he also sent..........keep it cold-- ice, frozen container so it does not dulute the brine.  he means freeze a jug of ice and put the jug in with the brine so it doesnt melt and dilute the brine.  it should stay around 30-35 degrees.

duration of time...........small fish 24 hours

bigger fish 36 hours

the smaller fish will be more salty if in the brine longer.

this is a really tasty brine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!