• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

51 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Did some spare ribs a few weeks ago at the camper.....

spare ribs1.jpg

spare ribs2.jpg

Oddly, I've done Wings, pulled pork, briskets, chops, chickens, Turkeys in the smoker but not tried ribs yet. 

I want to-got to but I have this odd feeling I'm going to screw them up?  ?

4 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Oddly, I've done Wings, pulled pork, briskets, chops, chickens, Turkeys in the smoker but not tried ribs yet. 

I want to-got to but I have this odd feeling I'm going to screw them up?  ?

Zero chance of screwing up ribs, you have much more of a chance of screwing up a brisket than ribs.

Start with baby backs.

Peel off the membrane and rinse ribs.

liberally apply a good rib rub a day before you cook and wrap in plastic wrap or vacuum pack.

smoke at 225-250 degrees for 2-2.5 hours meat side up.

wrap in tin foil with apple juice and a little honey or maple syrup and maybe some brown sugar.

cook for another 2 hours wrapped meat side down.

Check for desired doneness. I like mine tender and falling off the bone. If not done to satisfaction, cook another 30 minutes.

Once at desired tenderness, I take out of the foil, apply some more rub and cook another 15-30 minutes. Sauce at this time if desired but I almost never sauce.

8 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Zero chance of screwing up ribs, you have much more of a chance of screwing up a brisket than ribs.

Start with baby backs.

Peel off the membrane and rinse ribs.

liberally apply a good rib rub a day before you cook and wrap in plastic wrap or vacuum pack.

smoke at 225-250 degrees for 2-2.5 hours meat side up.

wrap in tin foil with apple juice and a little honey or maple syrup and maybe some brown sugar.

cook for another 2 hours wrapped meat side down.

Check for desired doneness. I like mine tender and falling off the bone. If not done to satisfaction, cook another 30 minutes.

Once at desired tenderness, I take out of the foil, apply some more rub and cook another 15-30 minutes. Sauce at this time if desired but I almost never sauce.

Thanks but, I'm not Famous Dave!  ?  

22 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Come-on-Man! ?

Are you saying you you think have to be Famous Dave to cook good BBQ ribs? In my opinion, Famous Dave's is about the worst BBQ restaurant I've ever been to. You could make better ribs on your smoker at home with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back.

Ribs are pretty simple.  Dave's method is almost spot on to what I do.  My prep is as Dave does...I have a pellet grill and go 3 hours at 180, then as Dave said meat side down into foil with apple juice 1/2-3/4 cup back on at 250 for 2.5hours and then pull out of foil (they will be fall off the bone so handle gently) then I sauce them and put them back on the grill for 20-30 minutes

25 minutes ago, snagfinder said:

After 6 hours do you take your dentures out cause you shouldnt need teeth. I like them fall off the bone but that seems a bit over kill.

they don't get that far gone..  I'll be doing some spare ribs that way tomorrow but most likely Saturday and you can pull a bone out, but the meat hangs together...  

1 hour ago, snagfinder said:

After 6 hours do you take your dentures out cause you shouldnt need teeth. I like them fall off the bone but that seems a bit over kill.

IMO spare ribs take around 6 hours most of the time to get fall off the bone tender but backribs usually take 4-5 hours in my experience.

with the process that I listed for ribs IF I turn the heat to 225, for the 2.5 hours they are to be in the foil, I find the meat still holds to the bone but still tender meat.  My family just prefers the pull the bone out and eat type of ribs.  And i am not sure where you would question 6 hours to smoke baby back ribs as almost all the recipes out there say to use to 3-2-1 method or a 2-2-1 method, but I just adjusted to a 3-2.5-.5 method.  It all depends on the temp you like to run them at.  Like I said I start the first 3 hours at 180 to get the most smoke flavor out of my pellet grill then I crank up the heat.  If i started at 225 or 250 then this process might be overkill for baby back ribs.  But do as you please as Dave mentioned it is pretty hard to screw up ribs!  

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

ribs1.jpg

ribs2.jpg

ribs3.jpg

ribs4.jpg

Looks great. I still can’t believe how expensive ribs are. Last time at Costco 3 rib pack was $60. Usually we do 2 packs and freeze the 4 of the racks after they are smoked. 

Edited by going4it

7 hours ago, chaffmj said:

That looks great! What time should I be there?  I'll even bring some good burbon! ?

That would have been awesome! I could have went for some good bourbon today to go with my Busch Lattes!

6 hours ago, going4it said:

Looks great. I still can’t believe how expensive ribs are. Last time at Costco 3 rib pack was $60. Usually we do 2 packs and freeze the 4 of the racks after they are smoked. 

I bought these ribs at cost from my buddy that owns a meat market and I still paid $95.00 for 6 racks.

27 minutes ago, blue_healer_guy said:

used to be 3,2,1 guy.  Neighbor always had better ribs than me.  No foil.  4.5 hours at 225, spritz apple juice after 2 hours.  Last half hour bbq sauce.  Wont ever foil again, so good.

Do you add a dry rub?