• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

does the beef get that dried out texture from cooking that long? 

Seriously!? Cripes! Where have you been eating, Del? Denny's? :lol:  Mine is plump and tender. That's why you use good cuts from a butcher buddy, well marbled, slow braise it until dark pink, and LOW simmer it, covered. I do NOT use that "stew meat" dump.  I've NEVER had my beef turn out like that. I'd be embarrassed and probably throw it out. 

Edited by RebelSS

I do eat at denny's every thursday morning with a bunch of guys from (former) work.  We are all retired now. 

But lean beef will dry out at boiling temperatures, and after 2 hours it ain't gonna be pink. 

Just asking, not accusing. 

Edited by delcecchi

I do eat at denny's every thursday morning with a bunch of guys from (former) work.  We are all retired now. 

But lean beef will dry out at boiling temperatures, and after 2 hours it ain't gonna be pink. 

Just asking, not accusing. 

I know ya were. No problem. :)  I'll save ya a bowl sometime. You'll love it. And there's the key....the temp difference between boiling and a low or slow simmer....about 32* deg, as you learn in cooking school. Just like cooking pork; "low and slow." It does make a world of difference.....now, for a quick "Reb's cooking class" : :grin:

Basic Boiling

This technique cooks food at a relatively high temperature―212 degrees is the boiling point for water at sea level. When liquids boil, bubbles break through and pop on the surface while the whole batch of liquid churns vigorously. Bubbles are caused by water vapor, a gas, rushing to the surface.  Boiling causes speedy evaporation, a useful effect for reducing sauces, where the volume of the liquid decreases and flavors are concentrated.

Simple Simmering

A cooking method gentler than boiling, simmering refers to cooking food in liquid (or cooking just the liquid itself) at a temperature slightly below the boiling point―around 180 to 190 degrees. It's trickier than boiling because it requires careful regulation of the temperature so that the surface of the liquid shimmers with a bubble coming up every few seconds.

What simmering does. Simmering cooks food gently and slowly. Delicate foods such as fish are poached at or below a simmer to prevent them from breaking apart. Meats that are simmered remain moist and fork-tender, while boiled meats are often dry and tough because the heat of boiling liquid can cause their proteins to toughen. Stocks are simmered so the fat and proteins released by any cooking meat or bones float to the top, where they can be skimmed off instead of being churned back in, which can make the stock cloudy and greasy.

Best bets for simmering. This technique is more versatile than boiling and lends itself to a variety of foods. Simmering is used to cook proteins (fish, poultry, and meats), often in the form of poaching (cooking in enough liquid to cover the food) and braising (cooking in a small amount of liquid). It's also essential when making broth or stock. 

the key with the meat is the brazing, or what I call seiring. Like id do a roast befor cooking, sier it first to seal in juices and let cook. awsome job! Dont see any scallions tho, hump! almost unamerican if ya ask me, hope ya had john pequate or what ever playing. :D:D:P

Boar:

"Dont see any scallions tho, hump! "

Ya hambone! Whaddya think that WHITE THING in the middle of the ingredients is?! is? An onion......and another one was also diced and in the pot!   rolleyes.gif  And, Clapton's Unplugged was pouring out of the Omega IV's, rattling the windows...rock.gif

Edited by RebelSS