• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow for walleyes on LOTW question

So we have a houseboat trip set for late August out of Sioux Narrows this year. The last trip we did, which was my first, my father in law insisted we use crawlers which we bought up there instead of having minnows with. He mainly fishes smallmouth and we didn't do well on walleyes with the crawlers. Friends of ours told us that we should have been jigging minnows instead which is what we mainly do back in Wisconsin anyway.

I have read about people using preserved or salted minnows and also live. Being we would be on a houseboat for a week, preserved may be easier than trying to keep them alive.

What's your preference for walleyes on LOTW? Live or salted minnows or something completely different?

Thanks in advance!

-GVG

I fish out of Sioux Narrows every year in mid June. Over the years I have gone from using mostly minnows to crawlers and now use soft plastics nearly all the time. Two dozen crawlers usually will last my group of 3 the whole week and we do not buy minnows at all. I have also been there in August and found the fishing a little tougher and used live bait a little more, but still did not notice a big difference between bait and soft plastics.

So we have a houseboat trip set for late August out of Sioux Narrows this year. The last trip we did, which was my first, my father in law insisted we use crawlers which we bought up there instead of having minnows with. He mainly fishes smallmouth and we didn't do well on walleyes with the crawlers. Friends of ours told us that we should have been jigging minnows instead which is what we mainly do back in Wisconsin anyway.

I have read about people using preserved or salted minnows and also live. Being we would be on a houseboat for a week, preserved may be easier than trying to keep them alive.

What's your preference for walleyes on LOTW? Live or salted minnows or something completely different?

Thanks in advance!

-GVG

Frozen shiners, period. I've trolled crawler harnesses up there with some success but year in, year out, jigs and frozen shiners have out produced anything else

3" and 4" Gulp Alive minnow is all I use up there for the past 3 years. They work great and I can easily out fish the others that are using live bait because I don't have to re-bait after every bite or fish catch. Usually can catch at least 10 per minnow.