• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lots of drumming..

The last two weekends I was out in the woods and was hearing them. Can't say that its any more or less than prior years. I have thought an amateur survey of the area we have land could be fun.

I was up near Isabella three weeks ago and saw more than usual for that area along the forest roads. It's generally slim pickings in this area so seeing more this year is a good sign overall. I prefer to hunt grouse further north/north west of here up along the border.

Pickups in a line and guys standing around giving you grief. That's the best way to do it. 

Now if you can run trough a bushy wooded area. Pick up you shotgun. And have a buddy pull the trap at your feet while you catch your breath and the "bird" goes sailing through the woods. All the better. 

Got skunked on day 2.  Missed one in the split second he was between trees.  My dogs had a couple of great points,  including my younger dog honoring the point of the older one.  Got up a handful of birds again, just too darn thick.

Respecting his elders, well done pup! Sorry to hear about the skunk but it's better than sitting inside! I might have to scout out some areas to hunt up there in 3 weeks.

Three of us hunted the Isabella area Oct 1st - Oct 5th with most of our hunting done Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We walked a lot of miles and I mean a lot and managed to bag 18 grouse and one wood cock. So we averaged two birds per day between us and I'd say it took about 10 miles of walking for each bird taken. We hunt separately and pack a lunch and meet back at camp in the evenings.  

Two bull moose were seen, the wolves howled a couple of nights and the weather was sunny and crisp. All-in-all a good trip.

Lots of strange mushrooms growing everywhere along the trails, big, small and multi colored.

grouse12015.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Three of us hunted the Isabella area Oct 1st - Oct 5th with most of our hunting done Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We walked a lot of miles and I mean a lot and managed to bag 18 grouse and one wood cock. So we averaged two birds per day between us and I'd say it took about 10 miles of walking for each bird taken. We hunt separately and pack a lunch and meet back at camp in the evenings.  

Two bull moose were seen, the wolves howled a couple of nights and the weather was sunny and crisp. All-in-all a good trip.

Lots of strange mushrooms growing everywhere along the trails, big, small and multi colored.

grouse12015.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Like the gun. Twenty or 12guage?

Went up for a one day shoot in Cass County,  was hoping for for a half day today but was a wash out. The young lab put up 10 birds yesterday but only 2 of them were shoot able.  I couldn't get over how jumpy they were,  most birds the pooch picked up the scent close  to the trails but they ended up flushing 30 yards in.  Either lots of pressure or the lack of young birds...

Was out in carlton county Sunday and kicked up 8-10 grouse in 2.5 hours. I think only 2-3 were repeats. A friend got her first grouse and it was the only one we got. Most were in the really thick stuff!

I am seeing and for the most part getting grouse each trip out, but I would say the population as a whole is about the same as last year - maybe even lower.

All my birds appear to be adults or very early hatch birds that have had the time to be fully plumed.

The RGS hunt in the Grand Rapids area ages all the birds killed and reported one of the lowest juvenile:adult ratios on record.   It sure seemed like spring was gentler than that.