• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody have an ICD (Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator) ?

Pherris

Hi I was wondering if anybody has had one of these implanted? I just had one put in on Thursday and wondering how long I should expect to wait before getting back on the water? The Dr. said that probably 3 weeks at a minimum and depending on how I fell maybe longer. Currently I am far to sore to even consider trying to fish but I'm hoping that will pass sooner than 3 weeks and would like to make the opener. Any have any personal experience with this? All replies appreciated.

Good fishing!

I don't have one but several friends do. LISTEN to the Dr. as to when you can start doing things again. From what I understand the risk of pulling a wire loose is the big worry. Take care and be patient!

Hi I was wondering if anybody has had one of these implanted? I just had one put in on Thursday and wondering how long I should expect to wait before getting back on the water? The Dr. said that probably 3 weeks at a minimum and depending on how I fell maybe longer. Currently I am far to sore to even consider trying to fish but I'm hoping that will pass sooner than 3 weeks and would like to make the opener. Any have any personal experience with this? All replies appreciated.

Good fishing!

If your openers are like mine they usually suk anyway. Give it some time and hope you will have many openers to come! smile

As with any surgery you are at a high risk for infection and injury. Your heart may still be unstable. Unless you have medical care close by this might be one of those trip you skip. Why risk it. Heal up and there will be many days of fishing and family ahead.

Thanks for the replies. I have a follow up on Friday so I will discuss it further with my Dr. Either way I will most likely join my buddies on the trip.

Good Fishing!

I would recommend that you pay close attention to what the doctor says about the advisability of going on the trip.

Thanks guys. I agree with everything posted. I will only be going if the Dr. gives me the green light for traveling even if he says no fishing.

I go to vermillion every year so I suppose the nearest good medical facility would be in Virginia.

I appropriate the replies!

If it is anything serious, you will be life flighted to Duluth. Otherwise, there is a hospital in Cook, and a bigger one in Virginia. For most of Vermilion, Cook is closer than Virginia, with the new road built a while back. Then chopper from there.

I think the ambulance service is out of Cook, also.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cook-Area-Ambulance-and-Fire-Dept/840051946030702?sk=timeline

Thanks for the info Del. We will be staying at Muskego Point so Cook would be close by. Hopefully this is one of those bits of info that is good to know but never need. smile

You can always shop at the hospital auxiliary thrift store in cook (plug plug) or make a donation to the volunteer ambulance folks or the Heiam Foundation

http://heiamfoundation.org/

or even attend the annual benefit gala on August 22 if you are in the area then.

Also, here is a link for the Cook Hospital...

http://www.cookhospital.org/

Thanks guys. I agree with everything posted. I will only be going if the Dr. gives me the green light for traveling even if he says no fishing.

I go to vermillion every year so I suppose the nearest good medical facility would be in Virginia.

I appropriate the replies!

Take your time getting back in the swing of things. I don't know anything about your particular surgery but I know that I had a surgery this past winter and a few things that I did to try to rush the process actually ended up setting me back a few weeks. I missed 2 ice fishing trip including what would have been my first ever trip to LOW. I was bummed at the time but now I'm glad I didn't push anything and try to go. A year from now this will all probably be ancient history.

I've had one for about 5 years, with the only caution being no heavy lifting for a while, and no electrical devices (cordless drills, saws, cell phones, etc) within 10-12 inches of the device.

I never experienced any pain or problem whatsoever after the surgery, even short term, other than no showering until the incision area healed.

Met with Dr. Today and he said that everything looked good and saw no reason why I couldn't make the trip. Things are healing nicely and I am pain free for the part so I will be fishing on the opener laugh

Thanks again for all the replies!