• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting the last season

walleyeking19

So because of my busy schedule this spring, I wont be able to hunt until the last season they offer, May 22-28. I've never hunted that late in the year, so should I change my hunting tactics at all? Will they change their patterns or will they respond to calling differently? Im assuming they'll be done breeding by then, but other than that I'm not sure. I got some new property to hunt this year so I'm pretty pumped!

Good luck to everyone hunting now!

You could be in for the best hunt ever. Even if all the hens are already setting (not likely) the toms will still be on the move and looking. I'd try a lone hen decoy on a field edge and tone down your calling. A huge dose of patience and you'll probably have plenty of opportunities.

The last two toms that I have shot in the spring (2012 and 2014) came in the last season. I drew earlier seasons but I bought leftover late season tags. Early seasons can be tough with the toms sticking with the hens most of the time. Location and patience seem to be more important than calling in my experience. Good Luck.

Sit till noon and you'll have a great chance. As I've seen in my scouting the toms chase hens down then follow until there on there nest and then they venture off to tackle the next one that's not on nest.

Stay late

Watch the birds get there temp if they are still aggressive you will know what you can use for decoys and calling.

We have had a couple years late in WI some gobblers were still fighting and watched for the day could not get in close . Next moring we got in and setup with Killer B strutt and pulling on the string for the tail . The two times I have used a decoy so late in the season did not even have to call the birds came into chase him off right out of roost and we took out 3 of the 5 gobblers.

Patience and scouting while you hunt will help a ton in later seasons.