• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Bass Boat Opinions

bASS_BLASTER

Time for a new team tournament, big rig boat. I've narrowed it down to three. Important to me is the front deck width at the pedestal. Jaguar has the biggest of all. I've been in the two Rangers but never a jag. Never seen one in person. CurIous how it will drift shallow water. I have considered a V20 but not liking the holeshot stories right now. (Please don't turn this into a brand or deck war )

P.S. Hopefully someone who owns a Jaguar can help showcase their boat.

Bass Cat Jaguar

Ranger Z521c

Ranger Z520c

Apologize in advance. I know this should be in the boat and motor section but I'm thinking bass guys would better at answering this.

No bad options in the bunch! I'm an unapologetic Bass Cat guy (I have a Puma) but Ranger makes a great product, too. I can tell you that the hole shot in a Cat is great, and all things being equal it will be faster than a Ranger. Bass Cats - like Rangers - are also a great rough water ride, which has come in handy for me on Leech many times. I can't tell you exactly what a Jaguar's draft is, but I've floated my Puma in 18" of water many times.

Whichever way you go, be sure to post pics!

From what I hear, the 520c is a better performance boat and fish's a bit better. If you fish any rougher water the 521C is the way to go. Overall I say 520C.

Now I am a huge fan of Legend boats as well so that gets my vote, or the new Nitro Z21 which is supposed to have a monster deck.

When you are looking at those three boats you are probably not talking more than a couple of inches either way. You should also look at height and width of gunnels on these boats. If you flip and pitch a lot the lower gunnel is going to be more beneficial. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice and I would look beyond the 1 or 2 inches of width and look at such things as storage space, rod lockers, fit and finish and what you personally like about each boat.

Dietz,

I saw that. I read they had to put an 8" block inside the jag to make it flush at the top for this photo. This is why I follow up with the question, how does it draft in shallow. I'll create an account and ask some questions today.

TR21HP,

Yes, measurements at the console is not by much. This info is from the bcb forum. Glass to glass at the console, R boats 80.5" vs Jag 79", Nitro Z9 is 83" and V20 is at 84" but 2'-3' from the bow (location of pedestal seat) the jag has a big 10+" width difference vs the other boats. Just my opinion, I don't fish from the console so it doesn't matter how big it is. Up front is where I spend 8 + hours a day. And a huge plus if I can squeeze two guys at the very front without removing any rods off the deck.

Great input guys!

There is a bass cat dealer in Isle, MN. and another one in Wisconsin. Those would be your opportunities to see a Cat. Dietz, I too spend all my time at the front and was speculating that there is probably very little difference in width at the pedestal seat base between these three boats.

Well, reading and seeing is night/day. Would love to see one and judge for myself.

I'm sure you guys read the post in the bcb forums.

Boat Bow w 2' from front X Bow w 3' from front X Beam at the console X Last is Length of front deck from edge of carpet edge of carpet

BCB 68" 73" 79" 93"

Jag

R

Z521 57.5" 65.5" 80.5" 100.5"

Z520 61" 68.5" 80.25" 95"

Phoenix

721 Pro 53" 60" 75" 89.25"

S

FX21 52.5" 63" 78.5" 116"

BCB

Puma 59.25" 63" 69"

With my current boat now, I wish the recess tray wasn't there. There are times when my clumsy self would trip over it on a hook set.

Good to know its not something you would have to live with, instead it'll be something you can adjust to and become a norm.

Ok, now 2 cents worth from a Phoenix guy. I have always been a Ranger owner, switched to Phoenix 3 yrs ago and love it. I like the ride much better that the Ranger. There is a dealer in southern MN and one in New Richmond WS. I would at least look at them.

Dietz, thatoneguy,

How do you guys like bcb's foot pedal position? Can one ever get used to it?

I was like you at first, its way up there for sure. I love it for how I fish. I'm the kinds guy that is either fishing really shallow(flipping/punching) or deeper than most(deep cranks and drop shots). It does take a day or so to get used to it, but once you do, you will never want to go back.