• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DonBo

A great few days!

Not even sure how it started, but sometime last year I agreed to take our own Scott M's young cousin Charlie on his first turkey hunt.

We started last Friday evening, mostly just to set up the blind and let Charlie and his dad know what to expect the next morning. With just a brief sighting and not hearing any roost near us, they may have been a bit let down. Saturday morning weather was perfect, cool and calm. We only heard a few gobbles pretty far away. Since we had seen 40 birds in this area the last couple weeks, I was still pretty confident. It took till about 8:00 before the first birds showed themselves over a rise in the cut corn field. Four jakes led the way with five longbeards behind and 10-15 hens following. They were coming! The jakes were just about 80 yards out when they all picked up their heads and started putting. Next thing, they were running and flying in every direction, then BOOM! Someone close apparently snuck up on these birds and spooked them all over the countryside. What a letdown.

I could only hunt till 10:00, so plan B was put into action. We headed to another farm not far away. Gobbling was heard as we walked to a blind I had set the day before. Anyone who knows turkey hunting knows that the later in the day they gobble on their own, the easier these birds are to call in. As soon as we were set I called. Immediate gobble! A few minutes later he gobbled again, closer. I made a couple more calls and soon Charlie says "there he is". I craned my head around the corner of the blind and sure enough, a nice strutter along the edge of the field. He worked his way closer, in and out of the woods. Soon there was another tom behind him. Then another showed farther out in the field. The tom came closer and closer, always behind a deadfall. When he finally got to our side Charlie says "can I shoot"? His breathing was so heavy and he was shaking so much, I wasn't sure if he could or not, but when I said "take him", the gun roared and his first bird was down for good. We sat and enjoyed the show as the second tom hung around and was soon joined by a hen, then behind us came 4 jakes and another longbeard. Quite an exciting morning for this young man.

ea400eb4-20d5-4d2b-97a8-1884d22812ef_zps

Two days later was my fathers chance. He's 91 and if we scored this week, it would be his 3rd bird in 3 years. Monday morning dawned cold and windy. Not a great day. We did hear a few gobbles early, but they were silent after they hit the ground. One bird showed himself about 7:00 but just headed off across the field without coming closer than 100 yards. At 7:30, dad was cold and bored. He said "what do you think"? I said "I think we need to stay till at least 8:00". Oh.

He wasn't back in chair 30 seconds when I see one far across the field, 4-500 yards away. There were three, two hens and a big tom. These birds worked across the field straight in. The tom never gobbled, never strutted, just followed those hens right into my decoys. BOOM! He did it! I couldn't be more proud of my old man.

549fb4f1-5132-4cb2-8c67-787260fe18d6_zps

DSC03527_zps38g1t67t.jpg

I sure hope he's got a few more years in him, as being able to hunt with your dad at his age is pretty special.

Congrats to all, fantastic. Lucky hunters, not just for the birds, but being out there with you! It is just fantastic all you do for others in the outdoor world! All us sportsmen thank you.

I sure hope he's got a few more years in him, as being able to hunt with your dad at his age is pretty special.

That's spectacular, DonBo! Kudos to you for taking your Dad out at this point in his life. The circle is complete, and that's a rare and beautiful thing to see! wink

Way to go guys. smile

Isn't this a repeat story from last year with Dad. confused

Never stop shooting until you run out of ammo Dad! wink

It's doesn't get much better than that DonBo! Congrats to Charlie and your Dad, they had a great guide obviously :-)

I laughed when you wrote that Charlie said "can I shoot?" That's the same thing I said 10 years ago to my turkey hunting mentor when I shot my first bird and it's the same thing the 12 year old girl I took hunting this year said to me, right before taking her first bird. It's always fun to witness another hunter's excitement as a hunt unfolds.