• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toad recommendations

Cooter

Will be rigged weedless for topwater fishing my local weed infested pond......see some have paddletails and others more like a sharp bent and short almost twistertail design. Need to try em and looking to narrow the options. Tks!

I use a Rage Toad, honestly it works well at any speed. My favorite though is working it fairly slow, and let it nose dive a bit into pockets in the weeds I can see. You'd be surprised how many fish won't take it until it falls just a few inches below the surface.

I mostly throw Zoom Horny Toads. Have thrown Stanley Ribbit's and Sizmic Toad's. I recommend going with a 4/0 Stanley Double Ribbit hook if your using a ZHT or SR. I also use about 2 feet of 30lb Tyger wire leader to protect that expensive hook from the pike.

When the Horny Toads legs get bit off, and they get bit off a lot, it's not the end of the world if you are fishing in calm conditions. You can then make the HT zig zag on the retrieve.

I bought a pack of the Horny Toads last year to try and agree that the double hooks work better on those. When I used the single hook, it would always land upside down. I bought the double hooks this year and so far with my testing in my pond, they have always been landing right side up. They seem to have pretty good action.

" When I used the single hook, it would always land upside down."

I had the same problem, but switched to the single keel weighted hooks. No problems now.

I have several different styles. Some days and water conditions,( choppy, clam) one works better than the other.

I use a steel leader with mine, but I remove the snap and replace it with a split ring. No line twist that way. smile