• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feeding

DARK30

I started using shingles under the feeders a few years ago. It works really good for the hoppers and keeps the grass down. I'll throw a cup or so of the finch mixes down under the sunflower feeders and it all gets used. I quit feeding red millet because they don't seem to like it at all. A lot of the feed you get has a lot of millet in it...just a filler.

full-255-55037-feedershingles.jpg

The white millet is ok but they always leave the red for last. Some seeds like to grow. The birds love the little "jungle" that comes up but it can get too thick. This way there's always open areas for easy munchies. I'll have to look for some old photos of the little jungle.

I feed cracked corn in a couple other spots out on the edge of the yard...got some deer lappin that up at night grin

3 tubes and a house with the oils. blue one is for meal worms, white for a drink. Bottom right is for jelly when orioles start to show up. Also have 3 suet stations. Bird bath on the far end. Gotta love the birdies smile

full-27930-55082-422a.jpg

I need to stop feeding in early April. I've had all my feeders destroyed by bears, I had a big boy tear down a hummer feeder on my front porch in mid May last year. Cool idea with the shingles, my feeders will go back up in late November.

I need to stop feeding in early April. I've had all my feeders destroyed by bears,

Can't say that's ever happened to me. grin My largest culprit besides the squirrels is an occasional striped gopher. One of these times my pooch will catch him. Sure close at times.