You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Fishing With Father

Recommended Posts

It’s 4:30 in the morning and I feel like my eyes are glued open. I’ve been waiting for this weekend for over two months, and it’s finally here. I know my father will be down in just a few minutes to wake me up, but it’s all I can do to keep laying here pretending to be asleep. Finally I give in to the urge and jump out of bed. My father is standing in my doorway, the hint of a smile appearing on his lips before he gives me a slight nod and turns away.

Hastily I grab the clothes I laid out the night before and throw them on, rushing down the hall and pulling on my shoes at the same time. I launch myself into the kitchen to find two brown paper bags, each containing two ham biscuits, which I grab on the way through. I find my father again, gathering up tackle and inspecting the fishing rods and reels. As I watch, he grabs the two Piscifun baitcasting fishing reels that are his favorites and adds them to the others we will take with us.

After what seems like an eternity, we are finally ready to go. We reach our favorite fishing spot just in time to watch the sun rise over the distant horizon, and the first rays pierce the light fog dancing just above the water. We walk down a short trail to the water’s edge where there are two large rocks perfect for sitting and fishing.

My father inspects fishing the poles one last time, then equips each one with a shiny, new fishing hook. From there he takes out a tub of night crawlers, opens it, and sets it between us. I watch him take out one of the plump worms and work it around on his hook, and I try to do the same with mine. It doesn’t turn out as good, but I am proud the worm doesn’t go flying off when I cast my line into the water, and out of the corner of my eye I can see my father nod in approval. I puff out my chest just a little and reach for my other pole when I see the bobber on my first line briefly dip below the water.

Dropping the other pole, I ever so gently pick up the pole I have in the water, being careful I don’t send any tremors down my line to warn the fish away. A minute passes. I am focusing so intently on the bobber I notice every detail down to the single drop of water clinging to my line, the sun reflecting tiny prismatic lights through it. It dips again, quickly and lightly; just a nibble. I restrain my mounting excitement and hold my rod steady. Another minute passes. Then two. Just as I’m thinking the fish decided against taking my bait, the bobber disappears completely under the water!

I jerk my rod up and feel it snag the fish. At the same time, my arms are jerked out in front of me as the fish fights back. Before I know it, I’m standing shin deep in one of the oxbows of the mighty Mississippi, along the border of Tennessee, having the most ferocious fight with a fish in my life, and it’s all being witnessed by my father. I see him out of the corner of my eye start to get up to come help me, but I spare a quick second to wave him away. I got this.

After another fifteen or twenty minutes my arms feel like gelatin, water is up to my knees, and I’m sweating profusely. I know this is a big fish on my line, but the reel I’m using isn’t the best and I don’t know if it can get the job done. My father has grabbed the fishing net and is standing patiently beside me. With one final heave I bring the fish closer, it’s now within five feet or so of where we are standing. My father lunges forward and scoops it up in the net. Relieved I can finally release the tension in my arms, I glance into the net and see the biggest bigmouth bass I’ve ever seen!

Back on the shore, my father untangles the bass from the net and holds it out to me. I hold it up while he takes a picture. “You did well, son,” he says, “I think you earned this.” In his hand he is holding out one of his Piscifun baitcasting reels. My father is a man of few words, but in this instance, none were needed. I took the offered reel, baited it, and continued fishing, occasionally glancing at the huge bass in our wire fishing trap, then back to my new fishing reel. I had never felt so proud.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Thanks for some of the tips. I will try it in the next couple of weeks when i have time. I have read to smoke till about 150 internal temp does it make a diffrence if it goes to 130 or 150?
    • that makes 2 of us. Not sure what the deal is but going back and looking at old posts its doing the same to those pics as well. and there were no issues with those prior.   maybe has to do with the site being down over the weekend and some changes were made? @Rick
    • Looks good to me rundrave.  Is it just me or my phone, but the pics are on roids and I need glasses to read what's typed all of a sudden...
    • I've done both wet and dry brines with much better results with the dry. As grainbelt stated you can mix up whatever sweetness you like. Here's a simple one but pretty good. Its ALL per pound of meat.   1- Tbsp of tenderquick  1.5 Tbsp brown sugar  1/4 tsp black pepper  1 tsp garlic powder ( optional) Mix all the spices together and coat the belly , depending on the size you might have to cut it in half,  this is when you do that and stuff em in two 2 gallon ziplocs.   You can add some maple syrup to the bags as well,flip them  every day for 6 or 7 days then rinse them off real well,  put them on a wire rack and place back in the fridge uncovered. Next day smoke , and like grainbelt said your target internal temp is around 130, let them cool off and wrap up in plastic wrap for the next day of slicing. It might sound a lot of steps but its not that bad, with great results!! Good luck.    
    • If anyone here is in the market for an electric smoker, give me an IM. I will soon be listing my MES 40 that has only been used 1 time. It is barely even seasoned!
    • Not yet, but I have been thinking of trying one....
    • I figure any fish that doesn't get into my boat was a wall-hanger for sure. 😀
    • I've never bought a car/truck over $15K, so yeah.  It would take a powerball jackpot before I was in the market for a dealer showroom boat.
    • Dry brine with Mortons Tenderquick, amount directions per pound are on the package in a ziplock in the fridge. Add seasonings like onion, garlic, black pepper, maple sugar or brown, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg. What ever you prefer. Take meat out of brine and let sit in Fridge overnight. Smoke around the 130 degree mark for 12 hours (for my liking) or as smokey as you like. Cut into 1/8" slices and cook in the oven 425 degrees for 20 to 30 min to your desired crispness.