• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MN Shutterbug

Couple new spring migrants for me this spring

An Egret friending the ducks and coot.

full-11440-54985-pano.jpg

Don't see enough of these anymore. Meadowlarks used to be common in SW MN but loss of habitat has really reduced their numbers. Same story with Red-headed Woodpeckers which are really rare around here these days.

full-11440-54986-meadowlark_filtered(1).

I also spotted a few Yellow-headed Blackbirds alongside a highway today and one fly by a slough.

Have bumped into a few meadowlarks this spring. Of course it helped to be hanging out in someone's hay field. Hoping when spring finally settles in there are some in the pasture or CRP area.

The strange thing about this Meadowlark is, I drove by the same tree the previous week and one was in the exact same location. Also, didn't see another one in the area. Maybe it's the same Meadowlark and he didn't move in a whole week?

Could be. They were always one of the early birds (no pun intended) growing up as a lad. And they'd stick around with more hay fields and other nesting habitat to choose from back in the day. A western meadowlark would sing almost every early evening from a dead branch in the top of a pin oak east of our house. Man could he ever sing. The low sun would shine off his yellow breast, making him a true sight to behold. smile

When I think of a meadowlark I think of my mom. She passed in 2009 at 85. She loved the larks song and I used to whistle it to make her smile when she got old.

meadow larks,Bob-O-Links,Redheaded are birds of memory.All their habitat has been put under the plow.wood stands dropped for fields an crops.I envy you and getting that pic!

must have liked that fence post smile

What fence post?

Two years ago was the first time I'd ever seen Bobolinks around here. I'd caught a glimpse of one about 30 miles from here a few years ago and was thrilled to see one. But 2 years ago, I saw several in this area, along with Dickcissels. I was quite surprised and excited to get quite a few photos.