• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Soft copper flaring

bobberineyes

Most of the water lines in the cabin (which is pretty old) have flared fittings. A couple of years ago I picked up a flaring tool just in case we wanted to do anything different. Well its time to change out the electric water heater and sure enough on my last flare the bar would not hold the copper as I tightened down the yoke.As much as I tried tightening down the wing nuts the copper just slipped. Any suggestions as far as the flaring tool goes or Would compression fittings be ok on the top side of the heater?

I've seen compression fittings used on toilets etc in the old days. My water heaters and the whole house and the cabin are all plumbed with hard copper. I don't know that I have heard of using soft copper for water (except for the skinny stuff that goes to the ice maker on the refrigerator).

Now I am curious too.

Think I'm going to pick up a not so cheapo flaring tool since this one lasted about six fittings in the year I owned it. It's kind of funny though, back in the early 70's when gramps and his brother did the work, with some being compression and the rest flared, one guy had the tool and the other didn't. I suppose you made due with what you had....