• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with a 40 HP Rude VRO

HugoBox

Helping a buddy get a 1990 40 HP Evinrude running after it sat since 2008. We changed the lowere unit lube. Put in new plugs and got a new battery. When we hooked it up to the battery and tried turning unit over it only clicks. We tried jumping the cemented just to see if it would fire and still just a click. Any ideas?

Thanks - Erik

We have a rebuilt '93 60 VRO that we've had since new.Like Del said will it turn over by hand.Sounds like the starter isn't getting any electricity.Could be a solenoid clickiing & I would check the connections.Forgot to mention that we had the starter rebuilt recently.

Thanks guys. It does turn when we tried a rope. I'm assuming selenoid but not sure. hard to know for sure though. We tried jumping the selenoid but I may have not gotten the best connection. Thanks again.

It could be the switch(ground).Did you try bypassing the switch by going straight from the battery to the solenoid?Maybe even try going right from battery to starter.Is the battery fully charged? Do the lights,live well,bilge work when the switch is on? 2c

Make sure battery cables are clean and tight. Same with all the cables to the solenoid and to the starter and the starter ground. Once you've verified all connections are clean and tight and still have issues, use a 12v test light and start checking for voltage at the solenoid and starter

My brother doesn't know that letting everybody know the outcomes is appreciated wink

We used volt meter and a light tester and found that the starter is the issue, and buddy is going to put a new one in this week. We getting juice just fine, and the solenoid was operating properly, and connections good, and key/controls working.

The starter in the motor was a replacement, hitting it hammer didn't make it go and straight jump to starter didn't either.

Thanks guys!