• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have never picked mushrooms before, I have only checked a few patches of woods near my house over the years and haven't found any but wasn't looking too hard. I really don't know much about them besides they tend to be near dead elms and have a short season. But I was woundering do they grow all across the state or is there a certain point north were you typically don't find them?

I can only tell you this, I have found them as far north as about 25 miles northwest of Bemidji. I would sure think under the right conditions they would be found much further north than that, but I am also fairly new to this addictive hobby!!

I was at the Sportsman show one year and listened to a Mushroom guy. He said they pick the most morels ever in a burn area up in Canada. So who knows how far north they will grow?

Really that's pretty cool! Now that opens up a whole new book of activitys to do while crappie fishing up at my cabin near longville. How long can a morel be up before it gets too old or goes bad? I have always wondered that also

I'm not very good at finding morels, so I'm not the right person to ask. I don't know how long they'll stay good, but you'll know they're getting older when they 1) start drying out, 2) get a hole somewhere near the top, or 3) start to turn a darker brown.

I've watched them grow for more than a week, but I've also watched them grow only to have them disappear. Or get old on me. Now, if they're decent sized, I pick them when I find them.