• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High School Wing-T

tadpole

I coach high school football in Indiana. I was wondering how many high schools in Minnesota run the Wing-T? What are some of the other offenses you guys see alot. I have also noticed quite a few private high schools mentioned in the form. Do they doninate the classes every year like here in Indiana? We call it recruitung!?!?!? THey call it good coaching.

Tad

Yeah i would say you see it more in the smaller schools than the bigger schools. One of the neatest is a 9-man school here in SE MN that runs a double wing toss offense with a single back. Lots off toss plays off the edge and the QB leads it into the hole. Just enough misdirection in it that it can be real tough too stop.

A fair amount of schools run it, but your starting to see more schools light the skies up with passes, against wing-t, double wing, power and the wing is probably the easiest one to cover, with dink motion to or away you really can only expect two or three plays, waggle, sweep, or trap/counter trap. Just my thought.
Best Fishes
chris

There are quite a few wing T's used up here. At my high school we ran a pro set and ran the veer a ton. We also used to run quite a bit of I-slot when I was a junior because we had a stud running back. You also saw quite a few double wing offenses, with lots of fakes, reverses, rigginsn and quit hitters, traps. I am talking about class A ball.

I played ball for Cromwell (9-man) a few years ago and we ran the Wing T and some veer. I think a lot of smaller schools (9-man) run the Wing T because its based off of speed instead of power.

Granny

My high school team runs the double wing. I absolutely hate it. No imagination to that offense at all. Boring, Boring, Boring. On most teams, your quarter-back is you main cog. Not in the double wing. Quarter-back spends the whole game with his back to the defense handing off the ball.
Flash
"Set the Hook"

I coach high school and out team runs the wing-t with a flexed tight end, just a different formation to an old offense. Many schools in out conference run the wing-t and double wing, we also have 2 teams that run a wide open offense and one that runs a veer option. My team in high school ran a zone offense and aired the ball out because we had an all-state wide out. You also see some big schools run the wing-t, especially in the Northwest Suburban(huskie can back that up).

Granny, did you play with a guy named Seth Aho( a Kettle River boy), played with him in college about 3 years ago.

Last thing, I don't know if I would say that private schools dominate, but there is about 1 good private school in each class, ie. Cretin, Totino, DeLaSalle, Breck, Mankato Loyola, New Ulm Cath., and Hillcrest Lutheran.

Graduated Last year from a 5A school, we ran the Veer. I hated it! We have a D-1 quarterback that has the strongest arm in the state, and we run the option? I was quarterback my sophmore year and there is no creativity. Tough on the mind trying to read the defense with that offense. It was good for me though being a better running than throwing QB.

We also ran the wing T in high school, same offense season after season no matter what kind of talent we had on our team. I agree with most of the previous comments that it took out any creativity we could have added to the offense. We had a 6'6" wideout that could catch anything thrown his way but he never got the ball due to us running sweep after sweep. It did work well because we had a fast team but it would have been fun to mix it up a bit.

We run it non-stop, if blocked correctly it is nearly impossible to stop. Warren Central in Indianapolis #14 in the Nation is where our head coaches brother coaches and they cannot be stopped. His father coaches at a 1-A school North of Indy and is currently #1 in 1A. 6 State Titles to go along with it. I played at a high school which like to air it out also. They are currently #1 in 2A and Undefeated returning State Champs. I am beginning to enjoy the wing more as our blocking improves but I think that if you get down early it is hard to try and comeback, since you do not practice throwing the ball much. I also feel it is important to try and build you offense around your athelete's.

Thanks for all the replies
Tad

Last week
Us Them
64 20

Tadpole,

Where do you coach? I grew up in the Northen Indiana Conference, I didn't play football, but I watched a lot for sure. Watched a lot of rear end kickings by the Penn Kingsmen. I went to Elkhart Central.

And yes I watched Mike Rosenthal, current Vikings Tackle play for the Kingsmen. He was a good basketball player also.

I coach for Lebanon High School. It is North of Indianapolis off I-65. Penn has a great program, seem to be struggling a little this year. The school I coach for is 4A, enrollment 780, 9-12. Currently we are #2 in confrence. 3-1 (Lost to my old high school) Our confrence does not have any other 4A schools but has quite a few ranked 3A and 2A schools. Our sectional has the #5, #9, and #15 schools in the state in it, 2 are private schools, hence the post. If we can make it out of our sectional we will be doing great. I let everyone know how we do tonight. We have slowly returned a bunch of starters (injured) in the last couple of weeks and we look really good. The line has also improved on their assignments. Should be interesting! Our sectional draw is Monday Night. The #5, 9, 15 are Zionsville, Chathedral and Roncolli.

Thanks
Tad

I agree about the double wing offense. They basically run only a few plays and if your defense is reading the line instead of the backs, all those fakes don't mean anything. We faced a lot of the double wing in my conference and we snuffed it every time.

The veer worked great for us, but we had a very athletic quarterback. The thing about the veer is, if you run it right, you can tell the defense that it's coming at them and they still will have a hard time stopping it. Of course that's easy to say when the line we had was huge and very good.

Well I'm off to do film for next week #13 3A Danville. It is our homecoming so I hope the boys are ready this week. Friday Night we blew up conference rival Crawfordsville 42 to 12. Not bad for a wing-t school.

Tad

tadpole just so you know i go to a private highschool, the last time we got a new player was in 4th grade and that was because his mom got a job teaching here. we dont do any of this recruiting your talking about. o by the way the varsity is 5-0 and they havent had a game that they have won by less than 20 points and the b squad is 4-0 outscoring oppents 165-16 its hard work detication to the weight room that make us good not that we are a private school.

riverrat,
Did not mean to get you in a uproar. Just curious? My oldest son went to a private elementary school in Indy and during a basketball game he was approached by a football coach from one of the high schools. He was wanted to know why my son wasn't playing CYO football. Well I have custody now and he is enrolled in a public school. Grew up a little too! 6'2" 270 and just turned 14. I guess he is one that got away. I will agree that they work hard at the private schools and without the funding. We have public schools here with stadiums and weight rooms that rival D-1 programs it's nuts.

Good Luck to your program.
Tad

When I originally posted I wanted to know if they did recruit. I cannot say 100% that they recruit here in Indiana. They put together great programs year in and out. If we make it out of our first game in sectionals we will more than likely face off against the #5 team in Indiana and they are a powerhouse. Private school though. Every year we have at least to classes won by private schools. I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing academically for my own son but he wanted to go to school with all his friends.

Thanks
Tad