• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can anyone provide some info on finding ramps? I've wanted to get out looking for them in the past but haven't put in the time yet. I think this might be there year.

It looks like identification should be rather easy but I'm looking for some general ideas of where to look. Is there a type of terrain they are found in?

I am in St. Paul so I thought about maybe checking out the woods along the river. Any thoughts?

Can anyone provide some info on finding ramps? I've wanted to get out looking for them in the past but haven't put in the time yet. I think this might be there year.

It looks like identification should be rather easy but I'm looking for some general ideas of where to look. Is there a type of terrain they are found in?

I am in St. Paul so I thought about maybe checking out the woods along the river. Any thoughts?

The woods along the river would be a great place to start. I don't go out searching for ramps, but I do pick quite a few as I'm out stompin around the woods trout fishing small creeks and rivers.

Thought I saw a few starting to sprout up last weekend in the driftless... won't be too long now.

I went out looking on Saturday along the river at Crosby Park. There was a lot of stuff starting to pop up but didn't find any ramps. From what I've seen this should have been a good area to find them but no luck.

Taking a two year old with slowed the process down a little but she had fun walking through the woods with dad.

They are going wild in west central minnesota. Maybe try a different spot? Could have dug up a thousand last weekend if I was crazy enough and wanted that many.

What kind of areas were you finding them in? Heavily wooded? More open? Soil type? Near hardwoods, near pines? Sorry for all the questions, but this will be my first year looking and I'd like to know where to start. Thanks!

Soil in our area is clay and black dirt. Hardwoods seem to be a common theme and very few by the low ground poplars. Usually an area that does get some sun splashed through the trees. Almost everything that is green popping up in my woods is a ramp it seems. Good luck.