• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5.4 spark plug question

My 2000 ford truck has a 5.4 motor noticed lately it seems slightly rough idle at stop signs and idling in gear and driving seems fine. Has 110,000 miles on it was told the guy who had it had everything done to it what ever thats worth. I have heard if you change the plugs they break the heads and you need a new motor. don't know if I need plugs or not. when I bring it in if they say it does should I just try to trade it quick or is it not that big of a deal thanks.

I'm pretty sure that is still the 2 valve 5.4 liter in the 2000 model. Regular old standard looking plug in those. The 2 valves are know for plugs blowing out of the cylinders.

The stuck plug plug or broken spark plug is the 3 valve 5.4 liter. This is the goofy looking spark plug.

I may be off a year but I think 2004 was the first year for the 3 valve in the f-150. The 250/350 got it in 2005? The ford guys will set it straight if I am wrong! wink

Its the 2004-2008 with the 3v 5.4 that have the issue with breaking the plugs. I have a 2005 f150 and I broke a couple when I changed them out. It wasn't that big a deal since I had the special lisle tool to remove the broken off part.

My 02 F150 with a 5.4 runs rough when first started when there is high humidity. But it evens out once it warms up. I figure I could spend a bazillion on new plug wires and such, or just put up with it for 5 miles. It's been doing it for about 5 years so the waiting has worked for me.

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with the 5.4. Had the plugs changed once with no issues. Like others have said, this motor isn't the one where the plugs are hard to get out. I believe any newer plugs you get for it will have better threads so they won't potentially blow out like the original ones could. No plug blowout issues with mine so far.

The 5.4's do have the Coil On Plugs, that go out on them or become sensitive to moisture, rain etc. This will cause it to run rough. Usually it will throw a code and say misfire on cylinder #, but not always. I have replaced 2 of these so far. My shop will do just the bad one, but some other places want to do them all and that would get spendy.

Oops, almost forgot one other thing that can happen on the 5.4's. The back two bolts of the exhaust manifold(passenger side) can break off. Mine are broken and have been for at least 70,000 miles. This hasn't really affected it at all that I can tell, it idles and runs fine still. Could maybe cause an exhaust tick or rough idle though.

Mine has 169,000 miles on it and is still running decent. I'm counting on mine hitting at least the 200,000 mark. I think yours would have some life left in it yet.

Oops, almost forgot one other thing that can happen on the 5.4's. The back two bolts of the exhaust manifold(passenger side) can break off.

Just fixed one of those earlier this week. Only had one stud brake off in the head. Had about 5 hours into it total.

I just did plugs on my 03 5.4, they werent too bad, had to take the fuel rail off the drivers side to get at the back ones. Get yourself at least 1 long extension and a swivel extension. plus a couple short ones.

I have fixed my exhaust manifold too and it took me 3 days working for a couple hours per night, but got that sucker out, its still on the easy out as a trophy of sorts.

180,000 now hoping for 250,000.

So is this fixable? I'm I looking at new heads if it needs it?

The 3V plugs can be replaced without the replacemnt if the cylinder heads.

You can usually do the job without breaking a plug with a little practice. But sometime a broken plug happens. The remainder of the plug can be romoved in vehilce.

So is this fixable? I'm I looking at new heads if it needs it?

No, you won't need a new engine, it is just a tough job to do. I had mine changed last summer at 135,000 and had called around. Ford dealer wanted $800 and said they take the cab off the chassis to do it. A second shop wanted about $500-650 to do it, and the third said they would do it for $400. The bill ended up being $340 and they said only two of them broke! 😃

Hi guys I no longer need to worry about my truck. my heavy duty 150 tranny shelled out at 111,000 miles. I will never buy a truck again. I have had cars that pulled a boat better than this truck thanks for the help though

Sadly I new the man who owned it new. He was a old guy who had every thing fixed on it. only reason I bought it was because I knew him well. Personally almost any one I talk too says this was the worst body style they had I agree.