• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spotted my first ramps this year

West central Minnesota I found my first ramps on Sunday. They were all of about 2 inches above ground. That was Sunday so I'm hoping the boys and I can hit the woods this weekend and find a few bigger ones. Scrambled eggs with diced leeks for breakfast is tough to beat.

I'm a few hours north of you and will likely have to wait to start my search, but can you say what areas you find ramps? Is there any pattern to it? I.e., a certain soil type, near water, by certain trees, lots of canopy...anything to help me start the search? I love foraging for mushrooms, etc., but have never tried looking for ramps.

I'm no expert but from what I have observed the last 2 years is look in the woods but the early ones are popping where there is sunlight able to peek through a bit. The areas where the evening sun was popping through had the early risers. No particular trees other than to say I find them more around the hardwoods rather than your low ground trees like popple/poplar. Where I find one I find several or many. I just always leave some to be sure there are some left to go to seed so I can visit again next year. Good luck.

I followed the advice of others and the pictures on the google machine last evening....

Those look right.... Smell like garlic..... Taste like sweet onion...

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Ended up with enough to try for myself and give the coworker who was jones'in for some fresh ramps. They had been searching all the farmers markets and whole foods markets without any luck. I just stumbled upon them while looking (unsuccessfully cry ) for morels.

Good luck!!! Wild edibles are fun!!!