• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can-am Outlander 400 vs Sportsman 500

311Hemi

Looking at buying a used wheeler in the next month or two, and have narrowed it down to either a Can-am Outlander or a Polaris Sportsman 500. I am looking in the 2004 or newer can-ams, and 2005 or newer Sportsmans (due to upgraded suspension in 2005+ models).

I originally was fairly set on buying a Sportman, mainly because they are so common and can be had for a decent price. I rode a 2008 this winter and man did that thing ride nice!

Then, I started talking with a friend about it and he said he would go with a Honda or Can-am over the polaris. His main reasons were the Polaris has many grease zerks that need maintenance after going through water, where the Honda and Can-am don’t. He also said the Can-am and Honda have fully sealed drive-trains, vs the Polaris that doesn’t. He goes on weekend rides with groups and said that they see more problems with the Polaris’s than any of the others, which are mainly Honda and Can-am.

My main uses for it would possibly include plowing a 125′ driveway in winter, dragging a disk for a food plot, and possibly moving a boat around once in a while. It would also take me back to the backside of my property which at times can include some muddy/wet terrain.

Anyone have any additional insight here?

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, I have ridden most of the brands out there and can say almost everyone makes a pretty good machine since around 2003. Most people are brand loyal and whatever you own and ride is the best out there, me included. I own two 2005 Polaris Sportsmans 700 and a 400, I dont view grease zerks as a bad thing. We ride pretty hard from the U.P. all ever Wisconsin and northern Minnesota and regularly run them in very deep mud and water. Never had a problem. I do maintain and clean them after hard use. I have buddies who ride Can-ams and Hondas with no issues either. Personal preference really. I bought Polaris for the ride comfort, the 4 wheel drive system and I like the storage. Works for me. Good luck with what ever you end up with.

Looking at buying a used wheeler in the next month or two, and have narrowed it down to either a Can-am Outlander or a Polaris Sportsman 500. I am looking in the 2004 or newer can-ams, and 2005 or newer Sportsmans (due to upgraded suspension in 2005+ models).

I originally was fairly set on buying a Sportman, mainly because they are so common and can be had for a decent price. I rode a 2008 this winter and man did that thing ride nice!

Then, I started talking with a friend about it and he said he would go with a Honda or Can-am over the polaris. His main reasons were the Polaris has many grease zerks that need maintenance after going through water, where the Honda and Can-am don’t. He also said the Can-am and Honda have fully sealed drive-trains, vs the Polaris that doesn’t. He goes on weekend rides with groups and said that they see more problems with the Polaris’s than any of the others, which are mainly Honda and Can-am.

My main uses for it would possibly include plowing a 125′ driveway in winter, dragging a disk for a food plot, and possibly moving a boat around once in a while. It would also take me back to the backside of my property which at times can include some muddy/wet terrain.

Anyone have any additional insight here?

I agree with your friend on the problems. The ride on the sportsman is very plush though