• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for first time western/alaska hunter

Hey all,

So its official, we are completely booked for our back country moose and deer hunt in south east Alaska this fall and I am thrilled!

The setup will be getting dropped off at a forest service cabin that is 40 miles from the nearest town by water and hunting out of there for 7 days before getting picked up. We will have our own boat that we can use mid week if we have to but it will be limited because of the tides. Our local support is coming from a local who also happens to be an Alaska Wildlife trooper so I am sure we will be getting plenty of info from him as we draw closer.

My question for all of you that have done a hunt like this is what would you bring that they DONT tell you about. I know the importance of getting in shape, good pack, good rain gear, good footwear, meat care supplies, all the stuff you can read for days about... but specifically, what did you bring on your hunt (or wish you would have) that made the trip that much better.

Thanks in advance!

I've never done an Alaskan hunt- was planning on it for this year, but it fell through for a few reasons. One thing I'll warn you about for any type of hunt like this though-- don't forget to worry about the things you DON'T need to bring with you! If you take an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach, you'll end up with so much junk you won't be able to haul and deal with it. Luxury gear is nice to have with, but since I started backpack hunting I came to realize how little I actually need. Very, very few luxury items impact whether a person shoots an animal or not.

The two most important items you'll have with you are good, dry boots and good rain gear. One item that you didn't mention was bear-related gear- I assume there are grizzly in the area you're headed to?

Good luck on the hunt! I hope the weather cooperates and the local can point you in the right direction.