You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

My 1st Largemouth Bass

Recommended Posts

It was a long sunny day, I could hear the other kids from the block playing and shouting. Across the street, indigenous music is been played loudly by Mr stilinski from his old and condemned speakers. Several times petitions have been written the county police restraining Mr Stilinski from playing his ambiguous music this loud which often disturbs the peace of others.

I tossed and turned on my bed, the sheets almost half way to the floor, all I wish is to go to sleep but sleep seems so far-fetched thanks to the kids and Mr stilinski! My own thoughts are also a contributing factor to my lack of sleep, for some time now I have always wanted to try the new fishing equipment, Dad brought home 5 nights ago, I saw the case but could not make out the name, my dad knowing me for who me for who I am, immediately locked the fishing equipment up in the attic.

Still tossing and turning, I heard my dad’s truck on the curb, even if I am sleeping and my dad returns home with his truck, I would know; my room is directly over the garage so I know the sound of the engine like my heartbeat. Gathering my straying mind, My dad knocked on my room door and walked in, he kissed me on the forehead and said Dave, I’ve got a surprise for you and I looked into his eyes inquisitively without saying a word; He gave me the keys to the attic and told me get the fishing equipment he just bought, he said we were going fishing. I could not contain my Joy, I was literally flying towards the attic to get the equipment, unlocking the attic I searched around for the box and found it on the extreme end, unwrapping the box I found one of the sleekest fishing reels I have ever seen. On the box I saw some name like Piscifun, took me a minute to figure it out, nevertheless, what matters the most is I’m going fishing with my dad with the sleekest fishing reels ever.

Dashing back to my dad who was already unloading some boxes from the truck; my dad collected the equipment from me and placed it in the rear passenger seat and told me to get in, my joy knew no bounds finally my wishes were coming to reality. I always thought was just about getting on the boat, go out on the water, throw the line and wait for the fish to bite. I took another look at the Piscifun reel and smiled, I can’t to see how it works, and this was going to be fun.

I was very concerned about getting on the boat and getting to feel the movement of the water, I’ve read and heard stories of people going on their 1st fishing expedition and they got sick and throwing up, I promised myself that would ever happen to me.

We arrived at the shore and walked to the pier with our fishing equipment where the boats are stationed. We walked on the coast and could see the surfers utilizing the waves. There were restaurants and loads of tourist in them enjoying the ocean, you could smell the delicious seafood that was being cooked, I almost had a hunger attack.

As we moved closer to the pier, we could see a lot of other people coming to fish arriving as well. I tried looking for who as the same fishing reel as us but could not find anyone; I gave up and saw my dad exchanging pleasantries with another man, my dad said he owned one of the restaurants on the coast line.

Finally we got to the pier and I saw other people pushing wooden carts filled with their fishing equipment. I asked my dad if he had one of these. He said “of course” It is something every fisher must have because it would be very difficult to carry the equipment by hand unless he/she is fishing in a stream.

We located our boat and it had my middle name inscribed on it “Wade”, I could not believe it, my dad named his boat after me, I looked at him with admiration and looked me in with eyes filled with love and smiled at me. Our boat was on a cart and I saw my dad unload another box into the boat which contains cheese, bread, fruits, newspapers, beans and off we went into the middle of the lake.

The boat stopped and my dad prepared the reel with bait, it seemed complicated but casting was easy, suddenly there was tug and I screamed, there was a live creature on our line. We were actually fishing; I was pumped with adrenaline and so anxious to see what was on our line, I tried pulling but it was much heavier than I could handle, my dad helped in pulling and to my greatest surprise, my dad pulled out one of the Largemouth Bass fishes I’ve ever seen, it dangles and fought for freedom but it was trapped for life then my dad said we had to let it go because we had no need for it; I was unhappy for a moment but reverted realizing my wishes for days just came through which was fishing with my dad and trying out the new reel.

We tried fishing some more but caught nothing for hours after eating and talking for some time, we decided to go home in defeat but I would never forget this day; the day I caught my first Largemouth Bass.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool story.

I can't remember my first;( it was a very long time a go! grin I'm old!!) but I still get excited every time I catch my first fish of the day. Makes the world just seem right!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • To all us dead beat bas-ters that go hunting and fishing and sit on the computer all day! Oh and had sex a few times!   Keep up the good work guys!    Had to put it here because there is no General thread. Plus no wives will be looking in the Home Improvement thread for us!!!
    • I actually bought the electronic controller off E-b-a-y and it just came in the mail today. I will install it sometime soon.     Agreed.
    • Would you rather be signing for a $40-50,000 plus interest loan? I think you will see many more people going this route, I know I will. A more profitable business might be buying and reselling used boat for this purpose.  Bruledrifter, great job, and smart decision.
    • It’s the cost of doing it. There’s a lot of putzy, tedious grunt work involved that makes these projects take a lot longer than one would think. Just to replace a floor requires a complete strip down and rebuild.    I wish i would have kept track of my hours I put into this, but I think a safe guess would be at least 150 hours, plus materials.... I’d have to charge 3-5 grand, at least. I’m sure some would pay it, but not many.
    • I was camping up at leech last weekend and in the site next to me was a campground host. He was a retired border guard. I remembered this post so I asked him about it. His response was if you had more gas then you needed for your trip then they would start asking questions. The biggest with him at the border was attitude from the people crossing.   
    • I have a lund pro sport that needs a new floor. I don't know how to bring it to. maybe you would have more business then you think.
    • Definitely feel better when I can see the fish. The mystery fish that still haunts me to this day actually happened to my wife, about 12 years ago. We were fishing from shore below the dam at leech lake. And she hooked into something big! At the time, she was as novice as they come, so I’m coaching her how to fight the fish for a few minutes. Because of the way the shoreline was, I decided I couldn’t hand grab the fish, or have her swing it to shore, so I made a mad dash to get the net out of my truck. Curse that place for putting the parking lot so far away from the water. When I got to my truck, I heard the scream that can only be made from a fisherman who just lost a big fish. Being a lifetime fisherman, I had just assumed she knew the basics of playing a fish. So I figured she would keep a tight line while I was getting the net. She did not. She just held the pole and basically let the fish swim wherever it wanted, until it threw the hook, or it just fell out. I’m convinced it was a big Muskie, but we’ll never know.
    • I grew up fishing the rivers around Mankato!!  great fun!!!,, 
    • I use to fish the dam back in 1980, You could catch most anything there but, yes, carp ruled. 
    • I’ll give ya that one too.   Of my 4 “legends” the first two were at the Coon Rapids Dam back when you could fish almost anywhere.  On the west side tight to the corner of the wall was a bit of an eddy.  One week apart to the hour (6 am) I hooked the beasts on a crawler.  The first time I got the fish coaxed down to the rocks for landing it.  Still hadn’t seen it after a true 30 minute fight.  I got to see a boil on the surface from its tail, something like 3 feet or more behind where the line entered the water - right before the hook popped out.  After 30 minutes it was over that quick.   The next week the fish just marched right out to what we called “the fence”.  It was an instant snag spot some 50+ yards out rumored to be a sunken fence but was probably a tree.  No matter, nothing ever came free from it, including that fish I had no control over.  We were carp fishers so hard fights were the norm.  These two or maybe same one were something else.  I think Catfish Hunter.   The operator errors were:   Fishing a bass tournament on Clearwater with drop shots WAY before drop shots were a thing.  We were crushing a school of hawgs.  One of those spots the size of your boat or less.  We loaded the boat with 4 lb average fish when I hooked this toad that wouldn’t come up enough to see even in that water.  My partner/competitor even knew right away it was something he needed to pay attention to and grabbed the net without me asking.  The fish was directly under the boat when the breeze caught it and pulled us away from the fish.  The fish didn’t move though and my drag was too tight.  POP!  My partner did the most heads up net man move I’ve ever seen to this date. As soon as the line broke he swung the net over to the other side of the boat and jammed into the water in the hopes the fish was high enough and slow enough for him to get it. Nope, sorry for your loss.   Thats the fish that taught me the most about managing my drag.   And the last (bear with me):   Ely last year I was doodling a 3 inch paddle tail around the edge of a weed bed on a 6.5 foot MH baitcasting rig with 20 lb Power Pro mated by swivel to 20 lb flouro leader to the jig.  A light bite and quick vertical  hookset turned into fish ripping out of the weeds for about 15 feet then turning around and rocketing back into the weeds at warp speed.  Not wanting the fish to bury itself, I thumbed the peeling drag but couldn’t stop it.  I thumbed harder till the line broke, not even slowing it down.   Hindsight says I shoulda taken my chances with the weeds but the 1.5 second battle didn’t give me enough time gauge what what I was tied into!   I liked reading the other actual stories posted so I thought I’d share some details of mine.  Good luck out there!