• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shower light requirements?

Archtek

For the professional electricians out there:

I am in the design stage of gutting and remodeling my master bath. I am considering putting a couple recessed can lights in the ceiling of the tub/shower area. Are there any special requirements for these cans? Vaporproof??

1 requirement is that they will have to be GFCI protected.

Here is a little snippet from another site.

Quote:
Shower Lighting

It goes without saying that showers are wet locations. Lighting can be a little dicey in wet locations, but without lights, showers can also be cavernous and shadowy, hardly a welcoming place for any working person to spend the first few pre-caffeinated moments of the day.

As a result, recessed shower lighting is an appropriate measure to take. Select an approved wet location fixture with a high quality trim resistant to water. This involves a combination of a rubber gasket with a glass diffuser, which creates a barrier for the actual light fixture so that no water can enter.

Contrary to popular belief, recessed shower lights are not all created equal. In fact, there are a number of options available for highly attractive recessed shower lights, from the more traditional inconspicuous and largely unremarkable versions to an elegant and individualized trim to complement the style of the rest of the bathroom. The myriad of lenses available can add to the aesthetic, and include frosted lenses, opal glass, Fresnel, or albalite. For a more even diffusion of light, a domed glass diffuser can be an excellent choice.

Of course, a light bulb that is compatible with the bathroom and light fixture is critical for a shower light. Traditionally, halogen lamps have been used, but more and more people are opting for LED models for a far more energy efficient lighting system.

Whatever the shower light, it is critical to be aware that the light is appropriately rated and safe for a wet location, because showers are different from any other room in a home.

Personally, I would head into the local home improvement store, tell them you are looking for a fixture for inside a shower and follow their recommendation (as long as its rated on the package for wet locations).

Then just make sure its GFCI protected (properly). The switch and fixture will have to be post GFCI outlet (on the load side), or on a GFCI breaker.

I put in a fan/light combo. The fan is incredibly quiet and I would suggest that you do a little research and check out the sones rating.

Another thing is that I put in GFCI's that have an LED built in. Very handy to have a bit of light as you wander in for some 3 a.m. relief.

Thanks all! After doing a lot of research, I've pretty much decided to visit a lighting specialty store like Muska or Creative during the week. The one thing I forgot to mention is that there is attic space above, so I also need an IC rating. Lots to consider and I want to be sure I get the correct light. I am also considering a light/fan combo, even though I already have a fan.