• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finishing basement after installing drain tile

iceman2010

I recently had a company install drain tile around the interior foundation of my home after too many springs of water problems. But now Id like to finish off the basement. Any ideas on how to go about this. The concrete over the drain tile is only about 3" thick, could I just glue my stud wall to the floor?

The idea of gluing the base plate of the stud wall to the concrete came up awhile back during another basement remodel thread.

The general consensus was that it might work but you are better off screwing it into the concrete as well.

When I did my basement at the same time I was reading the previous thread I did a little test just to see how well glue alone would hold. I used some liquid nails on the bottom of a 2x4 and stuck it to the floor in an area that was getting hidden behind a wall. I braced a 2x4 pushing down on the glued 2x4 so it had good consistent pressure while the glue was drying. After a couple days I came back to see how well the glue held. I say it held ok but I was able to move the 2x4 with little persuasion with a hammer.

I had planned to glue and nail the base plate but after the test it confirmed that adding screws was a good idea. I don't recall exactly what length screw I used but it wasn't terribly long so I don't think the 3" of concrete would be a big issue but I'm not a concrete expert so someone may correct me on that.

The main issue when you don't screw the base plate is that when a carpet guy comes in to stretch the carpet he'll push against the base plate to stretch the carpet. You want to make sure the wall is 100% secured so he doesn't push or deform the wall during the process.

My take is that, since there isn't going to be a huge amount of lateral load on the wall, in fact almost none, that glue should work fine.

I'm not sure that glue is easier than concrete nails or one of those blaster things but why wouldn't it be sufficient?

On the other hand, are there code rules? Or common practice in the business as to how that is done?

Why glue? Tapcons ever few feet should be enough and easy in the new flooring. A carpet installer is going to be pushing in rather than pulling out so I don't see how that could be a problem along the outside walls.

A carpet installer is going to be pushing in rather than pulling out so I don't see how that could be a problem along the outside walls.

I suppose it depends on how you do your outside walls. I left a small gap between the block wall and my stud wall. Its also an old house with uneven block walls so that gap goes anywhere from 1" to 3" in spots. If the wall was built tight against the block wall then you are right there probably wouldn't be a problem.

Tapcons would work just fine, but if the concrete is relatively fresh the cut masonry nails and glue would be the quickest, cheapest, and easiest. They are the square type masonry nails. Glue the bottom plate up good and put a nail every few feet and you'll be good to go.

FYI there may be some code requirements for what all you do. My daughter lives in Minneapolis and they require 2 inches of high density foam before the finish wall is built. We put it up and it caused the basement temp to go up 4 degrees. Haven't finished the project so I don't know if putting up the drywall is going to make any difference.