• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sheepshead

We seem to discuss the mighty Freshwater Drum every year!

Here's two previous threads on the same subject

I've gotten into them early in the year, but couldn't find any last spring ('14)

Got the itch to try and hunt some up in the next couple of weeks- will keep you posted

Let us know if anyone else finds any!

Link 1

Link 2

I do not know much about the spring bite for Sheephead but I do know when they are silver they are lean white meat. When they are bronze in color thay have a fat layer unddr the skin.

Down in south central Mn there is a lake called Volney. If you troll a #6 Hornet in June you can catch 100s of them in a day. A friend and I once caught 50 doubles of Sheephead in one afternoon. Unbelievable!

here's what I understand about eating sheephead;

first off, stay away from the big ones as people have said they don't taste as good (I don't know why, it's just what they say)

second, get them on ice right away and keep them cold- I think that's what keeps them from getting mushy

third, cut off of the fat line by the belly part to the fillet (leaving it on might make them mushy, too)

fourth, the fish really don't have a lot of meat on them for their size- just the way they're built

and fifth, I actually did all of the above, coated the fillets in flour, seasoned them, and fried them in butter, and they were great! It was a good, firm, mild white fish. Might do it again if I get into some this spring.

I've seen anglers on forums state they mixed sheepshead fillets in with walleye and none of their guests noticed.

oh one more thing- I found that they don't seem to do well when you freeze them- that restricts things just a bit

lotsa little things you have to do to make them work as tableware, but none are that difficult

I have noticed if the Sheephead is silver in color there is no fat along the lateral line so if you want to try them for the first time I would suggest not keeping them if they have a bronze color.

I will say I haven't froze them. I have mixed a couple sheep in with crappie and we couldn't tell the difference. They have a softer filet like a crappie. I fish them till the water gets warm. I started this last year. I smoke them, they are really similar to a whitefish or tullibee smoked.