• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalos, how do you catch and where?

Hey guys,

I never caught a Buffalo before and I would like to try. Anybody know of any locations they are willing to share? If so, feel free to pm me, as I will like to take my little ones out and catch some of these monsters.

Also, care to share any tips on how to catch Buffalo? I am clueless and I also don't know how to fly fish.

Thanks in advance.

I have fished the powerplant in Bayport in the spring with some success. I use a pink head and body purple/red with flashabou bucktail streamer on a spinning setup rigged wolf-river rig. Cast out as far as you can and slowly work it back in. In the early morning, you can see them swim in.

Go early because lots of people are there snagging for any rough fish.

Another spot, try Richfield dam downtown. In spring, carps and buffalo come in and stage near the dam. Use nymphs.

3rd spot, try Rice Creek in Mounds view. Give it another month, the buffalo and carps should be in. Use nymphs and san juan worms.

yeh the only place I've ever seen them caught consistently and on purpose is at dams

there was even a book entitled "How to Fish for Buffalo" and though it was a great book on all types of rough fishing (they were MN boys, too), they really didn't have much to say about catching Buffalo!

Buff are filter feeders, so to purposely target them in a lake or river (no dam) is real tough to do and most fishermen catch them by accident while fishing jigs for smallies or eyes, or worms for cats and carp. They are real fighters and are pretty neat fish. Many people get them mixed up with carp and will kill them or toss them on shore. They are in fact a native fish and are not related to carp at all, but closer to suckers.

I've got them on hook and line (twister tail at a dam) and shot a few bowfishing and got a spear in a big one at a small metro lake in Wirth park, but it shook loose. They are in a lot of lakes and rivers, but you just don't hear about much since they are rarely caught. Supposed to be good eating- people in the south like 'em. Made the headlines a few years ago when some people got seriously ill from buffalo (I forget what the problem was), so I've resisted trying them out.

For a long time they were a real important part of commercial fishing catches on the Mississippi, but I don't know what's going on with them these days.

Another spot, try Richfield dam downtown. In spring, carps and buffalo come in and stage near the dam.

Where is there a dam in Richfield? Do you mean Richfield as in south metro? Is it on the Minnehaha?

Fishing for Buffalo is the name of the book.

As far as the snaggers we are working reducing that. If you see snagging call into tip. Video tape them too. I live close to the king plant and the snagging seems to be getting worse and needs attention from the CO.

Smallmouth buffs can be caught on a bottom rigged crawler.

Bigmouth buffs are tougher they doo more filter feeding but to take jigs this time of year.

Aaron, do the snaggers typically keep the carp and buff they are snagging, or are they just doing it for fun?

It's gotta be a bit wild when there's a bunch of them nearby and big weighted trebles start getting loose and flying out like a rocket. Somebody could really get messed up getting smacked by one.

They keep em and eat them. I like that they utilize them but they are breaking the law and taking those fish from those that would like to catch them. I watched a 20 pound Bigmouth buff leave in a net that I am sure was snagged but I did not witness it. a group saw me watching them and tried to block my view. They must have gotten concerned because they left shortly after I pulled out my cell phone.

cell phones have sure changed the entire poacher/tipster/CO equation from the old days when you had to leave your fishing spot to make a call

might make up a bit for the lower CO/per angler ratio

about 5 years ago I called on some guys that were really pi$$ing me off with their violations and not listening to me and they got nabbed

I catch them on Isabel in hastings using corn near trees there herbivores.   ive heard they like pineapple as well but since i like pineapple too much ive never tried it. U can find them in many riparian back waters, expect a bite like a little crappie.

I catch them on Isabel in hastings using corn near trees there herbivores.   ive heard they like pineapple as well but since i like pineapple too much ive never tried it. U can find them in many riparian back waters, expect a bite like a little crappie.

If you buy fresh pineapples, which is a better deal anyway, you could use the core or the skin which is pretty much inedible for humans. 

Not sure about people getting sick, but my buddy speared a couple last year and smoked them with some carp that he had also speared.  They were delicious, and tasted very similar to the smoked carp - if you get a good brine, it tastes pretty much like ham, rather than fish.

Not sure about people getting sick, but my buddy speared a couple last year and smoked them with some carp that he had also speared.  They were delicious, and tasted very similar to the smoked carp - if you get a good brine, it tastes pretty much like ham, rather than fish.

Speared with a hand spear or speargun? In open water or ice house? Just curious since not many people seem to do either one of these for carp and buffs. Cool that you went the extra mile and could utilize them in such a tasty manner!

He speared them through the ice on a lake in south-central MN with a lot of pike and roughfish. It was going slow for pike so he stuck some carp with the intention of smoking them.  The water was a little murky and they have a very similar profile from the top.  Ended up sticking a buff and din't want it to go to waste.  Very little difference in taste when smoked properly.