• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yard Shed

been researching the diy put together yourself suff alot lately with 3 bad common deniminators in reviews; 1. warped product in kit 2. iffy hardware 3. always spent a few extra bucks with reinforcement. so instead of paying $800-1500 and being mad about it wife said do it yourself from scratch. i have zero experience cept for just finishing our basement. looking at 8x14 or 10x12. this seem possible for a first timer? what should flooring b to get started, 2x4 or 2x6? 1/2 inch/ 5/8, 3/4 osb? heaviest thing in it will b snowblower & 2 man ice sled. TIA

I built a Menards kit, something like 10 x 20, back in the 80's and it still stands today though we no longer own the property. I did add some extra support here and there, but with a good roof and proper construction these will do.

More recently I built a Cambridge 10x12 kit which pretty much all pre-cut ... you just have to nail/screw it together. It came out quite well. I ordered and added extra roof trusses for higher snow load ... and it should last longer than I will. It doesn't take any special skills or knowledge to build one of these kits ... just a few basic tools and don't rush ...

I had the same concerns about the shed kits that you find at Mendards/Home Depot/Lowes and ended up building my own shed a few years ago. I went 8'x14' with 8' walls and a high enough roof that I have additional useful storage above the rafters. My shed is sitting on 4 green treated 4x4's that are sitting on cement blocks that are buried in the ground. The base of my shed is green treated 2x6's and green treated 3/4" plywood. I decided to go green treated for everything below the studs, so even the sill plate is green treated. Probably over kill, but I didn't want to have any rot concerns. The job wasn't that hard, it only took a months worth of weekends, and the first weekend was all site prep work since it is located on a bit of a hill. I also added some additional work by siding it to match the house. It was actually a fun project and when it was done I had a sense of accomplishment that I am sure I wouldn't have gotten out of a shed in a box.

Hit a local yard and talk to a salesman there. They'll walk you through it, give you tips and probably deliver everything for little or no $$.

Might pay a little more than the big M, but the customer service and help should more than make up for it.

The one thing no one has mentioned is the tools you will need. Spend some time looking up what those may be and then the cost of what you will need to add to get the job done. That could easily be hundreds of dollars if you don't have much.

You may be surprised at how relatively cheap it will be to do it yourself. You very well could end up with a much better project. But take your time, see if you can get some help, and enjoy.

One other thing you may want to check is whether you need a permit or not in your area. When I built mine I wanted a 10 x 10 but settled for an 8 x 12, because anything 100 sq. ft and over required a building permit and to be on a concrete slab.

I have been looking at the shed kits myself but found a guy who can build me a 10x24 with 7ft walls and 9ft peak built on my property by someone who knows what he is doing for just under 3 grand. Smart panel siding and 35yr shingles. Not sure what that would cost me to do myself but to have it completely done by a carpenter in a few days time without me having to lift a finger will be well worth it. Hopefully this year.

If you want this guys number amateur I can pm you it looks like he does an 8x12 for around 1500.

I have been looking at the shed kits myself but found a guy who can build me a 10x24 with 7ft walls and 9ft peak built on my property by someone who knows what he is doing for just under 3 grand. Smart panel siding and 35yr shingles. Not sure what that would cost me to do myself but to have it completely done by a carpenter in a few days time without me having to lift a finger will be well worth it. Hopefully this year.

If you want this guys number amateur I can pm you it looks like he does an 8x12 for around 1500.

Thats exactly what I figured to get it done myself last night. Thats not bad at all.

One other thing you may want to check is whether you need a permit or not in your area. When I built mine I wanted a 10 x 10 but settled for an 8 x 12, because anything 100 sq. ft and over required a building permit and to be on a concrete slab.

Already checked and double checked, no permit required here for anything under 200 sq ft & under 15ft. Just have to b sure of easements & my neighbors on that side are great.

Big thing to look at also is the door you will use. My son put in a roll door (maybe 6' wide?) in his shed and it worked out GREAT! And maybe not set it in the middle, so you have more room on one side of it for shelves, etc.

I know there is a place on 169 in milaca that sells them made and the prices are't really that bad. I would probably build it myself though, it really is't that hard even for a non-carpenter like myself.

Built this one a few summers ago.

44%200%2000%2000-01_zpsbkrnv10j.jpg

10x16 8' back wall, 3/4 plywood floor over 2x6 floor joists, 6' roll up door and a 3' man door. Made my own roof truss 2' on center with fixed glass windows for light. wrapped the whole thing in 4x8 cedar with some accent siding to match the house. Whole shed rests on some tripled up 2x6's that sit on concrete pads. Has not moved an inch and all the doors open free and clear winter or summer. I did go with the fiber panels for roofing as it is cold storage and I am never going to put heat in it. Would be just as easy to go ahead and put on shingles or rolled roofing. Walls are 16" on center with 1/2 sheathing and house wrapped. Tax guy loved it and adjusted my taxes upwards to prove it.

That is nice. And Box has a good point on door. We needed a bit bigger one and ordered one pre-built from a shed builder last Summer. 14x26 with a garage door on one end and swing out double doors in middle. They had much smaller ones too for not much more than you could buy kits or pre-built ones at the HD or Menards. And this was built by skilled carpenters and shipped on a truck from South Dakota.

The building permit did irritate me. That plus a sewer inspection topped $500. I had a number of people lecture me on what an idiotic thing it was to get a building permit (though required by law). But I'm not one to take chances on something like that. Good luck. If you don't have a lot of time and can swing it, pre-built by a reputable shed company is the way to go in my opinion.