• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Asphalt Driveway Cracks

my driveway has been resealed a few times professionally and by myself. last year i resealed by myself and also used crack filler, all per manufacterers directions. this spring (after a mild winter by MN standards) my cracks are 3x bigger, i have more, and go complete with of driveway at least 3x. these cracks are big enough that i can (but barely) put my big fingers in them. is there a larger issue here (like base) or is this normal. also have other cracks appearing and growing at what i think is an alarming rate. is this normal with asphalt? should i be seeing this less than a year after resealing?

My drive way is about 5-6 years old and has 3 large cracks going cross it in 3 areas. With the expanding during the summer and contracting during the winter the cracks open up and close more. Once the cracks are all the way through the asphalt layer down to the compact there is really nothing you can do for them other then to keep pouring sealer into them. The best bet is to try and find a sealer that is pliable enough to move with the crack when it expands and contracts. Trying to keep water out from freezing it the big issue. Trying to re-melt a 2-3" thick area of tar that has moved for a reason is just going to re-crack again. It does Suk! frown

blacktop is only as good as the base thats under it,it requires 12 inches of compacted rock under it to equal the strength of 4inches of concrete[fact!]if it doesnt have it its gonna keep on cracking and settling,and as always require sealing every 1 to 2 years.[EXPENSIVE AND filthy job] ]concrete also requires a sound compacted base[rock not needed]half inch rebar placed 4 foot on center, it can still crack with it in there, but it wont heave and wont seperate.If you want more strength put fibermesh and rebar in it,and put sealer on it just one time right after you are done finishing and never look back,i can point out slabs ive worked on 39 years ago that are still functional and aestetic.

blacktop is only as good as the base thats under it,it requires 12 inches of compacted rock under it to equal the strength of 4inches of concrete[fact!]if it doesnt have it its gonna keep on cracking and settling,and as always require sealing every 1 to 2 years.[EXPENSIVE AND filthy job] ]concrete also requires a sound compacted base[rock not needed]half inch rebar placed 4 foot on center, it can still crack with it in there, but it wont heave and wont seperate.If you want more strength put fibermesh and rebar in it,and put sealer on it just one time right after you are done finishing and never look back,i can point out slabs ive worked on 39 years ago that are still functional and aestetic.

Too bad you didn't do mine. It has a number of cracks, so not so pretty. Still ok, functionally.

What Trolloni said. Only I go with two foot on center with the half inch rebar Went to five inches thick on my own driveway because I have a class a motorhome and the propane truck drives on it too. Only two cracks outside of the saw joints and they stay tight.

Rockn Randy

Hey, amateurfishing, The reason behind cracking in your asphalt driveway could be the water or the material which is used might not mixed properly. To identify the best material one should take proper guidance from the professional contractor like paving contractors Chambersburg PA from their page and get rid of the problems like potholes and cracks after paving the road/driveways.

Edited by annataylor

It is not good to have cracks and potholes in the pavement. There are different factors which are responsible behind the cracking of the pavement. These cracks should be repaired quickly to avoid the future problems. One can take the professional service of repair from the Long Island driveway paving company, which serves, the services at the most affordable prices in the Long Island area. It has a team of well- experienced engineers to execute the work of repair.