• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My summer project!

mysnopro

Had thoughts about this last year, am going to do it this year! Going to build a 9ft wide by 27ft long float to set my ice shanty on for the summer! Using blue barrels for pontoons and a pressure treated frame/deck!

Quick question.... Why?

Quick answer: Why not?!

This is easily one of the top 5 coolest things I'll have ever seen if I ever get to see it. Not sure I'm crazy about the idea of leaving it out unattended, but otherwise.

I'm very curious what the DNR would have to say about such a craft. I get your reasoning behind it not needing a boat license, but I do see it opening the discussion for such types of craft in the future and the perceived need to regulate them.

If this were to be placed in any Minnesota lake I'd assume it would need to be licensed. After all canoes and other non motorized boats need to be licensed so why not this?

I get that it could be fun to build and to fish from at least for awhile. And I also get building something just for the sake of building it but I see some potential issues.

1. What are people going to do to it if left out all summer long? I predict you'll have your hands full keeping riff raff away. I also envision a couple arguments about claiming a fishing spot or the famous "how close is too close" argument.

2. Do you have room to store a 9x24 foot raft all winter?

3. How are you going to get it on and off the water and towed and anchored into place? I assume you live on the lake since towing it from lake to lake is likely out of the question.

4. Doesn't anchoring up in one spot all summer sort of eliminate the advantage that open water offers? Easily trolling around looking for active fish is what makes open water fishing great.

5.I could see this thing taking a serious beating during a big storm. Are you prepared to haul the thing out of the lake if it sinks?

If you build it make sure to take a lot of pictures, we'd all love to see it in action.

I have thought about doing this as well. If you google Kirkwood Resort in montana they do this with a custom cottage ice house. The rent the house out during summer months and pull it onto the ice for the winter. At the very least this is an easy way to store the icehouse over the summer and makes a nice boat house.

muskielaw

I love the idea. I wouldn't leave it out unless I was planning on using it that day or weekend or whatever, and I would build it big enough to walk around and have a nice deck off of the front.

I wouldn't worry about sinking it, but I would build 4 "arms" with barrels on the end of each, one out each corner for stability. One plastic 55 gallon drum will displace over 400 lbs of weight.

If I lived on a lake and had the money I would for sure try it, not a lot of fun would happen in the world if every idea was crushed with a "why would you want to do that?" type of question, but hey maybe I like to have a little more fun than the average guy whistle

If this were to be placed in any Minnesota lake I'd assume it would need to be licensed. After all canoes and other non motorized boats need to be licensed so why not this?

I get that it could be fun to build and to fish from at least for awhile. And I also get building something just for the sake of building it but I see some potential issues.

1. What are people going to do to it if left out all summer long? I predict you'll have your hands full keeping riff raff away. I also envision a couple arguments about claiming a fishing spot or the famous "how close is too close" argument.

2. Do you have room to store a 9x24 foot raft all winter?

3. How are you going to get it on and off the water and towed and anchored into place? I assume you live on the lake since towing it from lake to lake is likely out of the question.

4. Doesn't anchoring up in one spot all summer sort of eliminate the advantage that open water offers? Easily trolling around looking for active fish is what makes open water fishing great.

5.I could see this thing taking a serious beating during a big storm. Are you prepared to haul the thing out of the lake if it sinks?

If you build it make sure to take a lot of pictures, we'd all love to see it in action.

No different then having a hardside shack in the same place all winter. I own a logging company so moving and storing will be no problem! If its a big fail so be it!!!! No different then a house boat! And for 30 bucks in maine i can register it!!

I'm wondering if you are going to mount it on there for the summer. If maybe it would be better to pull the wheels off and lower it on to a mounting bracket bolted right to the deck? It may cut down on the change of rounding around in rough weather? wink

Thank you for posting my pictures! It went very well putting it together in the water. 3 sections 8ftX16ft. The shack went on by hand!! Built 2 ramps and pushed it on! The only thing we need is a big mooring block. I have 120 lbs anchor and it still drags it! Going to fill a 30 gallon barrel with cement and try that!

now that is something that would make me take a double take if I saw that on the water!!! looks nice and fun on calm days...you need to complete the project though and line up the area to lower the house to the deck and then cut out holes for the ice holes. This way you could still fish on rainy days or windy days or just when you are sleeping just like winter!! enjoy it and thanks for sharing