• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brand new computer is slooooow

My last two Toshibas overheated all the time,and eventually fried. After talking to a IT guy, he said its very common for Toshibas to overheat and to stay away from them. I just purchased a HP laptop for 380 dollars with the AMD processer NOT SURE WHICH ONE, and i love the speed of this thing. HSO pages load completely in about 4 or 5 seconds. I dont know alot about computers but i wanted to share my experiences with you all.

That elitebook looks like it might be a nice unit back in the day but it lacks a couple of components you want.

Can't disagree with what you've said about considering newer processors and features. But, FWIW, I previously had an EliteBook 8540w and currently have an EliteBook 8570w. No problems with either one.

I'm going to return this computer tomorrow after work. Is there anything I can do to "re-set" it back to factory? I'm not too worried about anyone getting bank account info or anything off of it because I haven't had it long enough to make any purchases but I do have a lot of passwords and other things on here if the right person knew where to look and how to extract them.

Is my only option to go through and delete anything I put on the computer of is there a factory re-set option like on a phone or Ipad?

Either of the laptops you posted will do the job, Dave. I'd buy the Asus in the link provided in the quoted post here -- with the intel i3 processor -- over the toshiba with the AMD a8. It'll be slighly faster for you on almost anything single-threaded (e.g. web browsing, playing youtube videos, microsoft office, etc).... the only place that a8 might be SLIGHTLY faster is if you're doing something that's got a lot of work which is easily parallelized like encoding HD video or something, where the 4 cores in the a8 would possibly outperform the 2 cores in the i3. But, even then it'd only be a hair faster I'd guess. 99% of the time the i3 will outperform, and so I'd shoot for that one.

If best buy tries to get you to pay a restocking fee on that E1 processor (I think they usually do for laptops), you can basically tell them it's 'defective' for all intents and purposes because that CPU is slower than the old computer you had, and the salesperson on the floor should have known that and warned you of the E1 processor's slowness when you bought it. That is, after all, one of the advantages of a brick and mortar store with salespeople on the floor. Heck, if anything, they owe YOU money for letting you walk out the door with a laptop that won't cut the mustard and having to come back and get a different model. smile

Either of the laptops you posted will do the job, Dave. I'd buy the Asus in the link provided in the quoted post here -- with the intel i3 processor -- over the toshiba with the AMD a8. It'll be slighly faster for you on almost anything single-threaded (e.g. web browsing, playing youtube videos, microsoft office, etc).... the only place that a8 might be SLIGHTLY faster is if you're doing something that's got a lot of work which is easily parallelized like encoding HD video or something, where the 4 cores in the a8 would possibly outperform the 2 cores in the i3. But, even then it'd only be a hair faster I'd guess. 99% of the time the i3 will outperform, and so I'd shoot for that one.

If best buy tries to get you to pay a restocking fee on that E1 processor (I think they usually do for laptops), you can basically tell them it's 'defective' for all intents and purposes because that CPU is slower than the old computer you had, and the salesperson on the floor should have known that and warned you of the E1 processor's slowness when you bought it. That is, after all, one of the advantages of a brick and mortar store with salespeople on the floor. Heck, if anything, they owe YOU money for letting you walk out the door with a laptop that won't cut the mustard and having to come back and get a different model. smile

Thanks for the help, that should help me make a slightly more informed choice than I did before.

If it is any help, I have a samsung with 4G and a Core I3 that still works ok after 2 years. I think part of the problem is that every web pages has a whole bunch of items that have to get loaded with the page. Mostly ads, but logos and frames and backgrounds and fonts and all kinds of stuff. Everything has gotten really bloated, animations etc.

I'd buy the Asus in the link provided in the quoted post here -- with the intel i3 processor

That's exactly the one I ended up getting. I just got it up and running but so far it seems like a night and day difference. Cost me an extra $100 but it's worth it for sure. If I would have known the difference I would have got this one from the start but the sales guy basically told me the cheaper one would be fine for what I needed. I had a Geek Squad guy help me find this one and he said that they shouldn't even sell computers with that other crappy processor in it.

When asked why I wanted to return the Toshiba I said, "because it takes too long to post memes in the HSO meme thread". grin

I just purchased a HP laptop for 380 dollars with the AMD processer NOT SURE WHICH ONE, and i love the speed of this thing. HSO pages load completely in about 4 or 5 seconds.

I'm actually still using an old Lenovo laptop on wifi(at least 10 years old) with XP and just a 40 gb hard drive. It has an Intel pentium dual CPU @ 1.86 GHz and just 1 meg of ram. I just tested 4 different HSO pages and each 1 loaded in exactly 1 second. I think having a smaller hard drive can be an advantage as the computer doesn't have to look all over for all the bits and bytes that make up the one page or file you're trying to access.

I really like this ASUS I got with the I3 processor. This thing is the coolest running laptop I've ever owned. There's barely any heat coming out of it at all.

Good to hear it's running faster and that it's cooler. They can be a bit stingy with their restocking fees and portable stuff like laptops (they don't want folks taking them and using them for their 2 week vacation and then returning it). Hopefully they waived it in this case, especially since the replacement laptop you also bought from them.

Have fun with it.

Good to hear it's running faster and that it's cooler. They can be a bit stingy with their restocking fees and portable stuff like laptops (they don't want folks taking them and using them for their 2 week vacation and then returning it). Hopefully they waived it in this case, especially since the replacement laptop you also bought from them.

Have fun with it.

Actually I called Best Buy a couple of days ago after you posted that and they told me they don't charge a restocking fee.

Does the asus come with a cd/dvd player?

Yes but I'm not sure if it will play dvd's without an aftermarket program because I understand that is no longer included in Windows 8. I could be wrong though.