• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Restructure or Out...

Zep-man

The Vikes have a ton of wasted $$$ vested in guys who are undeserving of their contracts. To those who don't want to adjust their salary to what they're worth, I say good bye.

Those included:

AP

Jennings

Robison

Greenway

Munnerlyn

Cassel

I like all of the above...they're just taking up too much of our $$$ to be paid the way they are. Robison and Greenway at the top of the list. Jennings a close 2nd.

I think the Vikes will restructure AP as well...less $$$ per year but more guaranteed...freeing up more $$$ in the long run.

We desperately need a top tier OG and a #2 opposite Rhodes...

If we can get those two in FA...the draft can be wide open to add to our defense!!

I read a few things awhile back on the Vikings salary cap and where they have their money tied up.

Currently they are projected to have in the neighborhood of $18 Million to spend in free agency which is a decent number.

By cutting Greenway and Charlie Johnson, two guys who haven't played up to their cap number, the available money jumps to around $25 million which is more than enough to go after anyone they want in free agency.

Commenting specifically on your list...

AP - Who knows whats going to happen with AP. With minimal cuts we have plenty of money to keep him at his current price tag and still go after anyone we want in FA. Although I think its doubtful we keep him but not because of his contract

Jennings - We probably keep him because we are hurting so bad at WR. We'll be overpaying but we can afford it for another year.

Robison- Overpaid but I suspect we keep him. Zimmer likes his D linemen.

Greenway - Suspect he's gone or gets a new cap friendly deal.

Munnerlyn - He could be gone but I think they give him one more year. The secondary will likely be an area of focus in FA and the draft so it will probably depend on how that plays out.

Cassel - He'll for sure be here. He's getting paid on the higher side for back ups but he's probably one of the most capable back ups in the league. If you cut him you'll save some money but the drop off between Cassel and whoever you bring in is probably going to be substantial. We are in good shape with the cap so we can keep him for now.

I really don't expect to see any major moves adding or subtracting people outside of possibly AP. They have a lot of young guys who are nearing the end of their rookie deals over the next couple years so I think they are looking more to the future than they are looking to make a big splash this year.

There really isn't a ton of money we can spend in free agency. We have 18 million or so, 5 million of which will go to the draft (as the value of rookie contracts is set). That leaves $13 million for free agency if we do nothing more. None of the guards in this draft are going to get much over $7 million per year. There would still be another 6 million to use. I don't think we can land a corner, and linebacker/safety free agents aren't worth grabbing. Beyond that, we would probably sign some D-Line depth for $5 million a year, and we are still under cap. That isn't exactly a good position, but it isn't a bad one considering we did absolutely nothing to save money.

So why would we address all of those salaries? Which free agent is a likely candidate to come here? Really the answer is no one. We have no need to immediately free up cap space. There's no reason to just stock up on cap space if you can't spend it. There's a cap floor to abide by. In a perfectly world we stay $10 million under the cap at all times. Building up $40 million in cap space and not spending it would result in team penalties down the road (which can include loss of draft picks). So best to spend some money while it is easy to do so.

What are you talking about, Nick? We could end up with @ 30 M in cap space if we re-structure some of these guys....you want ALL of it!!

Smith will need to be extended and that'll be a good chunk...

The FA list is about to double once all the cuts start being made.

With holes at CB, LB, OL, WR, RB, and overall depth....we'll need all that $$$.

What are you talking about, Nick? We could end up with @ 30 M in cap space if we re-structure some of these guys....you want ALL of it!!

Smith will need to be extended and that'll be a good chunk...

The FA list is about to double once all the cuts start being made.

With holes at CB, LB, OL, WR, RB, and overall depth....we'll need all that $$$.

Code:
While the previous CBA had a salary floor, the new CBA did not have one until 2013.
Starting with that season, each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the
cap in cash on player compensation,[9] and 90% in future years

Because the salary cap is at $140 million, not $300 million.

Cassel - He'll for sure be here. He's getting paid on the higher side for back ups but he's probably one of the most capable back ups in the league. If you cut him you'll save some money but the drop off between Cassel and whoever you bring in is probably going to be substantial. We are in good shape with the cap so we can keep him for now.

Cassel is gone to Buffalo.

Oddly enough, it's sounding more and more like the Vikes are willing to pay AP all of his money this year. I can't imagine anyone else coming anywhere close to it, so my guess is we're not going to save anything on him.

That's ok...if he can stay healthy, he's worth it on many levels.

I guess if they have cap space and they weren't planning to spend that moeny elsewhere, then I don't mind that they're overspending -- I'd rather see them spend it than not spend it. But, I'd rather see them spend it wisely than spend it foolishly.

Father time doesn't lie. You have to admit that no 30 year old running back with clearly declining skills should NOT be the highest paid (by far) running back in the league. The Vikes had a prime opportunity here to force him to either restructure or be released/traded, I just assumed they would take that opportunity rather than overpay.

I was surprised by the Cassel move but its hard to judge the move without knowing what draft picks they got back in return. I don't think there is a backup QB on the market that would be better than Cassel and I doubt we save a ton of money with the new QB but if they got some decent picks for him then it was probably worth it.

As for AP we have plenty of cap space to pay him. Even with paying him I believe we are up to $23 million in cap space with more moves yet to come. So we don't have to get rid of him just to free up cap space. The vikings have said they don't plan to be big players in free agency this year so cap space shouldn't be a problem. They are more looking to the future and having to sign a lot of their young guys to new deals in the next year or two. Because of that I think AP will either have to restructure or get released/traded next year. I believe his cap number goes up another million or two and he'll be another year older. I think that will push it past the tipping point and probably won't be worth keeping him around at full price.

I think dumping Cassel was a good move. We turned our 6th round pick into a 5th rounder with a bonus 7th for next year and dumped $4.15 million in salary (plus Cassel had a half million bonus due in the coming days). The bottom line is, if Teddy goes down we're torched anyhow. We can get a cheaper option to back us up.

As for AP, purely from a football perspective I'd argue against the phrase"clearly declining skills." His last full season he averaged 4.5 yards a carry and had 10 TDs in 14 games. That's about par for the course. Add in a full year of not getting pounded, along with his freakish ability to heal, etc., and I think he has a monster year this year (as long as he has been training in his down time). The Vikes have proven they are willing to pay out a contract, even a big one (looking at you, Jared Allen), and ultimately they hold all the cards. Either we get a guy ready to prove he's still worth the hype or we get a pretty nice compensation package if we trade him. I think it's a win-win for the Vikes.

I'm scratching my head about the Cassel move a little bit. According to reports we get a 5th round pick this year and a 7th round pick next year, for Cassel and our 6th round pick this year.

In essence we give up Cassel and our 6th for this year's 5th. The 7th rounder is more or less useless.

I know Cassel was our back-up here, but he will likely be their starter this year - or at least have a good chance of being it.

Seems like we could have squeezed something more from such a QB-needy team.

I suppose. We will now have to sign a back-up QB though - or re-sign Ponder (puke), so it will be interesting to see how much we actually save. Still think we could have put the screws to Buffalo a little more knowing how bad their QB situation is.

I doubt we'll save very much after we sign a new backup. I liked having Cassel as a backup, if Teddy were to go down he could have stepped in and at least kept the ship afloat until Teddy is back. Not excited about any available QB's out there.

The only thing that I can think of that makes sense is that they possibly did the trade as a favor to Cassel. Giving him a legit shot at being a starter again. He doesn't have a ton of time left in his career to take a viable shot at a starting role, if they kept him through the end of his contract that might have sealed his fate as nothing but a backup the rest of his career. Now he at least has one more shot and winning the job, at least until the Bills find their QB of the future.

Cassel was for cap space, they'll draft a QB for backup on the cheap. I'm guessing they try to keep AP or they wouldn't have flown to TX yesterday. I sure wouldn't be kissing a thugs arse who beets kids and thinks he's the one who has been wronged by everyone. What a joke.

Extra 7th round pick allows us to pick up a long snapper. As far as backup QBs go, Hoyer might be able to come here for around $1.5 million Familiarity with Turner, some starting experience, and not terribly expensive.

Extra 7th round pick allows us to pick up a long snapper. As far as backup QBs go, Hoyer might be able to come here for around $1.5 million Familiarity with Turner, some starting experience, and not terribly expensive.

7th rounder is for next year (2016). I don't think Hoyer will come here. He wants to start and I don't think bringing in a guy that'll sour on the bench when Teddy beats him out is the type of veteran presence we need. I don't like the pool very much--Cassel was about our best option--but at $4.15 million and a half million bonus due, they really had little choice but to cut him. That's too steep for a back up, IMO.

Quote:
Tarvaris Jackson would like to back up Teddy Bridgewater

“I think I could really help [bridgewater],” Jackson said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “I think I could help put things in perspective for him with football and outside of football. … I feel I can help him just making the game a little easier and kind of learning from my mistakes and stuff.”

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDQtMjAwOTA4MzEtMj-1.jpg

full-593-53580-hehe.gif