• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrels at the bird feeder

half-dutch

For those of you who feed the squirrels, how do you keep those tree rats out of your tomatoes in the summertime?

Here in MPLS most folks in my neighborhood quit growing tomatoes because the bushytails usually get em all long about the time they color up.

For those of you who feed the squirrels, how do you keep those tree rats out of your tomatoes in the summertime?

Here in MPLS most folks in my neighborhood quit growing tomatoes because the bushytails usually get em all long about the time they color up.

Feed them with this...

full-1100-53331-airgun.jpg

The neighborhood I live in has quite a few squirrels, but don't see that much problems with my tomatoes at all. I believe they're after moisture more than food; so having several water sources in my yard for all the critters most help.

Rabbits on the other hand are always victims of lead poisoning, city ordinance against pellet guns, or not. I swear they eat anything that's green in my gardens frown

I have an older big cat by gamo gun. tried many brands thru it and the crow magnums from beeman really work sweet. Pellet guns need some fine tuning but can be very accurate. I put a good BSA scope on it and screwed it into place. The rings would not keep it in place. Stinkin rabbits got 2 of my catalpa trees that were about 2 feet tall and straight. squirrels have not been insane here this year. smile last year was nuts.

full-27930-53376-download.jpg

I was tired of those ugly black birds hogging the feeder last year, Grackles I think. I went and bought a pellet gun cause the Red Ryder wasn't enough. Shot the thing one time and I could swear it was louder than a 22. Doesn't work where we live. I was expecting a slight pop not a real Bang!

I have about 6 very well feed Fat squirrels at our feeder that chase all the birds away. Since I can't use a 22 in my area. I thought about how I could over feed them a high fat diet and watch them all die of heart attacks! grin

I haven't got to the point of shooting them but it's coming. I had a couple of regular feeders that the birds loved but so did the squirrels. I even had 2 hoods on the pole but that didn't stop them. All my feeders are now squirrel proof but the birds don't seem to like them.

same here.. my trees have grown to where the squirrels can jump and land on the feeders..about 6 feet away..i will have to move the feeders away from the trees and alittle further away then i want to..want to shoot them with pellet or air rifle but dont want the police knocking on my door.

i just bought thistle and chips to put in droll yankee thistle feeder..i suppose they will find a way to chew right through that even with the small holes..

too darn expensive feeding the squirrels...once they lock in on a food source they will not go away..

I changed the pole my feeding station is on to 3 inch PVC pipe. I've only had 2 squirrels (that I've seen) get up my feeder in the last 4 years since I put it up and they not training any others after taking a lead sleeping pill. By putting a little ant killer on the pole the ants don't get up to the sweet stuff either. Try it, it works incredibly well.