• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water Fishing in Winter - Warm Water Discharge?

PakAttack86

So I'm not much of an ice fisherman, I tend to fish the open waters of the rivers in state parks and local streams, but even on nice days in the winter the fishing is pretty slow. I was watching a Minnesota Outdoors fishing show the other day and it featured a few fisherman in waders fishing what they claimed to be a spot on the river where warm water discharge keeps the fish hungry and active, and they were hammering the smallies left and right. Of course they didn't disclose where they were, but the floor bed looked rocky and they were only wading in maybe up to their knees.

Does anyone know any general areas (don't have to give up secret spots) where there's fishable open water with warm water discharge? I only know of the Bayport power plant, but that place is always crowded and in my experience the fishing is not that great. One guy told me there's a warm water discharge spot in Rochester, but again wasn't specific. I just need a place to go during the icy winter..

Thanks for any advice.

Also I'm assuming the guys that were fishing on the show I was watching were fishing the mississippi, but other than "northern portion of the river" I don't recall them stating where they were at. But again, location isn't an issue for me (within 100 miles of the twin cities preferably) but an accessible spot in a warm discharge river area would be great.

Is the Monticello plant more open and spread out as far as area to fish than the Bayport plant? Because in Bayport it's basically shoulder to shoulder, not much room to maneuver on busy days. I've never been to the Monticello plant but it's only an hour away from me so might be worth a visit next year.

Yes they were at Monticello. You can park in campground/trailer park for three bucks which gives you convenient access to the river. It can get a little crowded but there is a lot of river to fish. Last time we fished there we shared the area with 8 other guys, we were spread out over a couple hundred yards or more. This was on a Wednesday morning. Somebody caught a fish every 5-10 minutes. Everyone was fishing with minnows. There are walleyes caught there also. The day we were there was supposed to be high 30's low 40's with low wind, it never got above 25 and the wind was blowing right down the river at10-15 mph. In other words it was cold. There were also 2 boats fishing the area. We stopped at the county park and there were about 6 guys fishing there also. Most guys were just using a split shot and a hook, although they do well with artificial to.

Since you are one of those fans, I suggest taking a drive up I35, heading east on hwy 2 and trying the Chequamegon bay in Ashland. They have a discharge from the power plant that stays open year around that I used to fish all the time and while the best spots are east of there, that bay is a world class smallmouth factory.

And you will find many of your type there grin

There are a few spots, probably the most well known (and pressured) is Monti' - and that's almost certainly where the Midwest Outdoors guys were.

I will say that, with some research and some aerial maps on Bing and Google, you can find them.