• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Boats

Granny

Just looking for some suggestions here. Sometime in the future I am going to be looking at getting a used bass boat. I don't fish tournaments and I usually stay on fairly small lakes so I don't need a boat that goes 70mph. I am looking at spending less than $10,000. After looking around a little, I have found some used boats for around that price. Most of them are 93,94,95 with 120hp motors. Anyone have some suggestions on what brand of boats I should keep an eye open for?

Thanks in advance,

Granny

They all make a pretty decent boat... Each has thier own good qualities... I now own a Triton and love it. I have owend a Champion too... It had a better ride, but was slower and the storage wasn't as nice. I would say.. make sure you ride in it first.. and then go from there...

Good luck in your searches...

Yeah Granny I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) I too am looking to purcahse a boat, under 7,000 for me though. I do fish tournaments with my dad, he has a 1998 ranger R93 sport. I love the boat but could never afford it, so I'm looking for one of my own to do my own tournaments in. I've sent requests trough Valv, he's found a few but nothin thats really caught my eye yet. I've got the money now just need to find one. I'll keep an eye out for ya Brian.

I just got my 17' Stratos for under $10k. Its a 2003 model. Not a ranger but it works for what I do. I was looking at a 96' Nitro for $6k earlier this fall. They are out there but you gotta look. Boat trader online is a good source. Fall is a bad time for most boat dealers so you can work them alot easier than spring.

Granny, I've been looking around for a solid used bass boat also, my uncle is good friends with John Laub, he is the salesman down at Frankies Marine in Chisago Lakes. He would be one to call and put in an order with, tell him what your looking for and that your in no rush, if any good boats come up he'll contact you, great guy also.
Another idea is jump on hsolist - motors, and click on boats, that will give you a fair idea what is out there and what shape you can expect for the dollars you want to spend.
Earlier this week, I ran into a 97 Lund Pro Bass, pretty nice boat for money, would be a great starter boat, he is asking $7800.00 but you could probably deal a little, now is the time, next spring everything will be about 2 grand higher. By the way, when are you getting those pictures developed?

------------------
Good Luck To All, Wormburner!
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit!
[email protected]

A few sites that may be of interest for not only locating used rigs but also researching other owners opinions and possible pics include: Classicbass, Bass Fishing Homepage, Probass Networks, Bass Boat Central, Boattraderonline, NADA guides.

Most of these have forums to post questions and searchable archived posts. It seems to me that if you are really looking for the best deals, you need to have all your 'ducks in a row' before hand and keep a wide search area. That being said, a test ride/outing is crucial (when possible) before purchase. I sledom take a sellers word of mouth on performace or traits that the boat/motor may exhibit on the water. One of the aforementioned sites had a detailed checklist/inspection list for buying used that covers many of the basics that can overlooked when eagerly eyeballing a prospective used rig. I have found that the best deals aren't always the prettiest color combinations, but that they still perform as well as the others, can't be too picky...

Good luck in your quest, I believe that doing your homework ahead of time really helps to alievate the potential problems. You should have at the very least a target size/motor range that will suit your fishing style and waters, fit in your designated storage space, and is capable of being adqeuately towed down the highway...