• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead core line

Ice Wolf

I would like some recommendations on what brand of lead core line to use and what size.

Will be targeting walleye and deep water pike on a northern Mn lake. So Many brands out there and the reviews are up and down from the color on the line comes off to the lead wears through the line to easily. Should a guy use what the salmon fisherman use on the Great Lakes? Or just use what ever brand is sold around St. Paul?

I've always used #18lb cheap stuff, "old school", but there are "super" lead core lines. Better strength and thinner diameters can give you greater sensitivity, and enable you to reach desired depth with less line.

Sufix 832 Advanced and Tuf-Line Micro Lead are a couple brands friends have been fishing with and have had nothing but good things to say about them. Cabela's Depth Master is very similar, but without the sticker shock. Might have to give a spool a shot this year smile

Some things to think about with leadcore line. The suffix line is smaller diameter which allows you to use a slightly smaller reel when spooling up but it also runs about 7' per color versus 5' per color like Guedbro or your other standard leadcore lines. This can make a huge difference when targeting 40'. The smaller line will get you down to 42' with 6 colors whereas with standard leadcore you are looking at 30' with six colors and 40' with 8 colors. 18# and 27# leadcore run different strength Dacron sheaths but use the same lead filament size, I am not sure on the heavier sheaths but would think that the same is true with those to keep you at a 5' per color sink rate. You will need a fairly large spooled reel to fish 8 colors of line.

Tunrevir~

I've always used the "cheap" stuff just because I've got all my cranks already dialed in with it. If I went with the thin diameter stuff, then I'd have to re-dial everything in.

If you've never done it, then I suppose you can get the thinner, tougher stuff and get used to that. I'm just lazy.

I would like some recommendations on what brand of lead core line to use and what size.

Will be targeting walleye and deep water pike on a northern Mn lake. So Many brands out there and the reviews are up and down from the color on the line comes off to the lead wears through the line to easily. Should a guy use what the salmon fisherman use on the Great Lakes? Or just use what ever brand is sold around St. Paul?

I've Fished for trout and bass with Lead core for some years. Trolling with lead core is basically the only type of fishing I do now.

Lots of fun, and easy relaxing.

Some may fine this useful.

Lead Core Depth Calculator

"https://play.google.com/store/search?q=fishing%20lead%20core&c=apps"c=apps

Edited by ddancers

That's a pretty general rule most individuals aren't sure a what speed it applies to,  and  .5 MPH change with six colors out can easily make 9 feet differences in depth.  Plus some brands sink more than others and higher test doesn't mean it will sink more. When I started testing depth results I was surprised at the outcomes.  Lead core sink does vary with speed. I use sufix  performance 18 lb test most of the time.