• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Vexilar Do I Want?

walleyeking19

Okay so I'm in the market for a new vex. I'm trying to decide between the 20, 22, and 28. I've always liked the 20, and my brother has the 22, but I rarely fish shallow water so I dont know if its best for me. The 28 looks pretty cool, but it just hasn't proven to be as reliable as the others simply cause it hasnt been out long enough.

So what would you guys say? What do you think of the 28? And no i don't want a marcum, and i have a humminbird already, so dont turn this into a debate on brand.

For what it's worth I own a 20 and a 28 and will be selling the 20 to buy another 28. Weed mode is a powerful tool as well as the 5 foot depth Ranges in auto. they're both quality units but the 28 matched with a Pro View transducer is the cream of the crop.

I am a marcum guy, BUT, when my son and I were on Devil's Lake with a guide a couple of weeks ago, he gave us a 22 and a 28 to use. I was impressed with the 28. it really picked up the fish moving in on the bottom, I have a hard time seeing that with my lx5, my son can pick them up with his showdown better than I can with my lx5 (might be time for a new transducer). If I was starting over, a 28 is what I would go with. My son and I talked on the way home about upgrading (he brought it up) and the costs are high, even if I sold my LX5, his showdown and my old lx1 I think we could get one 28 and maybe a bag of chips......

This is a good time to be looking though, the deals will be starting soon. I have the packaged 28 and noticed the cover is about a $40-$50 item. I wouldn't pay for that again but I'm a house guy. It's always in the way, absolutely worthless in a house. That's one way to save.

Last year Gander had a $100 gift certificate with the purchase of a new 28. Between that and what I got for my 22 on hsolist, I broke even so it was a no brainer for me. Not a ton of time on the 28, but so far I've been very happy with it.

I still have my 20, that is a rock solid unit too. Only draw back is having only 20 foot depth viewing increments you don't take better advantage of your full viewing screen

Vexilar FL-18 on a Genz Blue Box is without a doubt the best vexilar you can buy, and the price is right for what you get. STAY AWAY from all of that pro pak bullspit. They charge extra dough for this fluff dump, and 99.4% of the money you spend is on the VEXILAR system...NOT the cute boxes and lights they attach to some of them to upsell uneducated buyers. You should be able to find one of these for sale NEW in the $360-$400 range...if you are paying more, then you are paying too much IMO. Fl-8 & 12 won't have the bottom zoom option (which is WHY you want the 18). Anything above an 18 works too, but why would you pay more for electronics when the cheaper option works the same? This is just my opinion, hope it helps, good luck with your purchase!

FL 18 Genz Blue Box- $365

FL 18 Pro Pack II- $432

FL 18 Ultra Pack- $522

FL 20 Ultra Pack $560

All I was pointing out is the difference in price for the SAME vexilar. SOME people don't know that the FL part is what you need to focus on...just pointing out marketing smoke & mirrors. I meant no offense to anyone. I am just showing the best VALUE to get the same job done. I also think the FL 20+s LED looks sweet too, but not $200 more to upgrade sweet.

I run a Marcum lx7 but I'm with Tip on this one. fl18 is the best unit they have other then maybe the 28 haven't used one I just know the other flat screens are glare hard for me to see. As far as packs go I like the genz most then the ultra pack. I use a Genz for my lowrance hds very solid box.

FL-28 We have two now and love them. I upgraded form a 17 year old FL-8 and now my son has upgraded form the FL-20 to the 28 an we can really see the improvement. We tried the showdown and did not like that so back to what we were used to.

Ive had a Fl-18 for years, bought a Fl-28 Ultra pack this fall and havent used the 18 since. Really like my 28. As stated before the case is a joke, its been in the cabinet with the Fl-18 since December.

I have a 22 and a 28 both with a ProVeiw, I also have 2 12 degree transducers that I put on when we go to Upper Red. Both are great locators. If you are going to fish under 30 feet of water most of the time the 12 degree is a better option. The ProVeiw has a 1.5 foot cone in 10 feet of water. For water over 20 feet the ProVeiw is great.

Vexilar,Marcum or Humminbird are all good locators, it's a personal choise as to what works for you.

I use to run an FL-20 before this season, but then upgraded to the FL-28 over the summer and in my opinion it has been worth it. I believe that the FL-18, FL-20, Fl-22, and Fl-28 are all similar in nature and all have very similar characteristics. However, what separates the Fl-28 from the other units is the increased target separation and the weed mode. The weed mode is what makes the FL-28 worth the extra money in my opinion because it allows the angler to fish shallow, thick weed beds while still being able to distinguish your jig and fish from other interference.

I own the 20

My buddy owns the 28

just fished side by side today. Fishing down in the timber for rainbows, seems his weed mode was equivalent to my low power mode. I wouldnt call the weed mode a must have really.

As far as reliability goes: I bought mine three years ago and have yet to have a problem with it. (On the ice 75 days a year too) his 28 is on its first year, had issues with the bottom lock, his motor is much louder than mine (almost seems like shes gonna blow at times)

I've never been a fan of trying a new piece of electronics the first year they hit the market. Just look at the problems marcum had from releasing some of their products too soon.

I would go with the trusted unit, even though his might have been a lemon. The 20 has been tried and true for a few years now.

Hope this helps.

i;'ve an fl18nfor 13 yars never hd any issuenwith it at all. the zoom feature to me is a must. its proved its worth on LOW in 36' of water and zred lake in 12'. i just like to see more clsrity non the bottom and the 18 nwill definitlety do that without spending aton on fluff and puff

Have an 8, 18, 20 and 28. All bought in year of release except the 8. That is the only one to need service. Bad transducer cord due to wear and tear. Took it to their shop and was very impressed with the service. They plugged in the cord and tested operation of unit before allowing me out the door. Have not used the 28 anywhere other than URL. Impressed so far but looking forward to testing in deeper water. Two earlier models are just used as spares now but just end up collecting dust. Probably sell them next fall.